DL vs Blu-Ray

Baldrick2

Hi all

Firstly want to say what a fantastic program Imgburn is. I have been fairly lucky in that someone pointed me in this direction more than a few years ago and since then I've pretty much used it exclusively, just because its the best!

My original intention was to post some requests, but they've all been covered so I wont bother (yes I learned to use the search button :whistling: !). Whatever LUK decides to include in the future can only ever be considered a bonus in my opinion.

So I hope this is posted in the correct forum, my apologies if not.

DL DVD blanks are so expensive (even from SVP whom I have used exclusively for dvd hardware and blanks for years..top banana company!!). I have read somwhere that the reason for the excessive price on these blanks is mainly due to the manufacturers keeping them artificially high, possibly due to a request from the movie companies themselves (conspiracy theories are us!).

I guess this is the place to find experts in this field so wanted to know has this ultimately killed the DVD DL development for the most part. Now we have Blu-Ray becoming more accessable (from a price point of view) surely any R&D money is going to spent on developing cheaper manufacturing methods for Blu-Ray (blanks and writers), instead of any progression in the DVD DL market.

Again from a monetary point of view its not even worth (and I have no idea of this is possible, but dont see why not) putting 2 DVD 5's on a DVD 9 disk.

Sorry for rambling...I'm getting there I promise!

I suppose the question I want to ask is, are DVD DL disks a dead format even before they really became mainstream? Disrearding xbox game backups - this is purely from a DVD film backup point of view.

It's just an out of interest 'what people think' question, I'm not looking for a definative answer, but am really interested what people think.

Balders

Great forums BTW, I have referrred back to here often for help, but in the end just pretty much go with the included default settings which work!! :thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.