DL Layer Breaks

DVDRookie

Read the guide, searched the forum, saw nothing about my question, but then I often have 'Senior Moments' and could have missed something.

Question is about the ImgBurn layer break screen.

1) I often get break point options where the Preview Selected Cell button is not active- if you can't preview it is it a valid break option? If not why is it displayed? (Guess that would be a suggestion). If it is valid why can't I preview it?

2) In some Previewable break points the navigation controls aren't active, like there is nothing there?

3) Just had a 1st, for me. ImgBurn couldn't find any possible layer break points. I was burning 4 movies onto a DL disc (Verbatim). Some of the movies had lots of black transitions from cutting out commercials.

Kinda hard to believe ImgBurn couldn't find a good break point! Log file included below.

4) What is SPLIP and does it have any impact on choosing a break point?

Please educate me, or feel free to explain what a donuthead I am.

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 - Log

; Monday, 03 December 2007, 00:03:45

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 23:58:17 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 23:58:17 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build

2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 23:58:17 Total Physical Memory: 1,310,000 KB -

Available: 863,148 KB

W 23:58:17 Drive C:\ (FAT32) does not support single

files > 4 GB in size.

W 23:58:17 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single

files > 4 GB in size.

W 23:58:17 Drive E:\ (FAT32) does not support single

files > 4 GB in size.

W 23:58:17 Drive F:\ (FAT32) does not support single

files > 4 GB in size.

W 23:58:17 Drive I:\ (FAT32) does not support single

files > 4 GB in size.

I 23:58:17 Initialising SPTI...

I 23:58:17 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:58:19 Found 1 DVD±RW/RAM!

I 00:00:21 Operation Started!

I 00:00:21 Building Image Tree...

I 00:01:39 Checking Directory Depth...

I 00:01:39 Calculating Totals...

I 00:01:39 Preparing Image...

E 00:03:38 Unable to find any cells that could be used

for the layer break!

E 00:03:38 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:03:16

I 00:03:45 Close Request Acknowledged

I 00:03:45 Closing Down...

I 00:03:45 Shutting down SPTI...

I 00:03:45 ImgBurn closed!

;

1. It's probably not linked to a cell. You can only preview cells.

2. The cell is tiny?

3. It's down to the layout of the IFOs and nothing to do with the video content. If it can't find any cells to align, make some more.

4. Seamless playback linked in PCI. Does it have any impact? Yes and No. Normally the original LB is marked as non seamless. (i.e. that column will say no).

Search the forum and you'll find more info on SPLIP and what it does/what you can do with it ('seamess' in general).

1. It's probably not linked to a cell. You can only preview cells.

2. The cell is tiny?

3. It's down to the layout of the IFOs and nothing to do with the video content. If it can't find any cells to align, make some more.

4. Seamless playback linked in PCI. Does it have any impact? Yes and No. Normally the original LB is marked as non seamless. (i.e. that column will say no).

Search the forum and you'll find more info on SPLIP and what it does/what you can do with it ('seamess' in general).

Thanks

1, 2, 3 Can you define a cell?

1. What can it link to other than a cell? I assume if it is displayed in the list, whatever it is linked to, it is a valid break option?

3. "If it can't find any cells to align, make some more." HOW? Is this something I do?

It could be an IFO or BUP file or just the start of the title (so your preview would be useless; in this case, the breakpoint is about as good as it gets).

Cell definition - http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/cell.php

To make new cells, use VobBlanker - guide on site.

Now, it would be really useful if you used the search function (see that pink thing at the top?). All this has been answered literally dozens of times before.

Regards

It could be an IFO or BUP file or just the start of the title (so your preview would be useless; in this case, the breakpoint is about as good as it gets).

Cell definition - http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/cell.php

To make new cells, use VobBlanker - guide on site.

Now, it would be really useful if you used the search function (see that pink thing at the top?). All this has been answered literally dozens of times before.

Regards

:D Thanks for the info.

I don't blame you for your impatience, I guard my time also by necessity. Before posting (1st time on a forum) I read the admonitions, read the guides, and did do searches. I read thru pages and pages of threads with no useful info (often the search phrase used but no explanation). Probably means I need to learn how to search more effectively. After searching, I read posts with likely Subject lines- found only 2 with some useful info. I'm yada yada-ing you just to give feedback from the point of a rookie, which every user is at least once. Things apparent to an experienced person often are not obvious to a rookie. As a design engineer with 30 years experience designing, documenting projects and publishing articles, the best but toughest thing to do is put yourself in the place of the reader who doesn't know the details like you do. It's especially tough to do when you are time limited. This is NOT meant to be a lecture, just some feedback. Feel free to ignore, delete this post, throw rocks or make fun of me.

I think the answer is implied, but please answer directly: Any potential layer break points listed, ARE valid break points.

I'm still a dumb rookie, but you guys have made me smarter- thanks.

Blutach, you should expect dumb questions from someone in the Northern Hemisphere where toilet water swirls in the wrong direction when flushed.

G' Day Mate

I think the answer is implied, but please answer directly: Any potential layer break points listed, ARE valid break points.

Yes.

The rest of your post will be taken in the very positive spirit it was intended.

Funny thing about the dunny water "up top", ain't it?

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Back to my favorite subject- Layer Breaks. Ran into another 'Can't find a suitable layer break' message. After reading Blutach's excellent guide on splitting cells using VobBlanker, I did just that. Splitting cells was easy using the guide. Tried to burn again and got the same message- no LBs. I have searched (I promise) and found nothing about HOW TO CHOOSE THE CELLS TO SPLIT TO PRODUCE VALID LBs. I'm guessing it isn't a random process? Please help, I need Edjicatin.

For my attempt, not knowing any better I split a couple of cells as near as possible to the midpoint of the VTSs. I picked some with slow transitions to make the break less noticeable. What should I have done?

lol keep splitting cells until you find one that works!

The next version does make it a bit easier as it points you in the right direction as to which cell you should split.

All I'd do at the moment is look at the entire VIDEO_TS folder and find the midway point - size wise - as a file.

Then figure out where that point is in terms of positioning within the VTS set. Then just split some of the cells around that point.

• 1 month later...

All the above information was very helpful. Thanks to DVDRookie for sticking his neck out getting answers to my questions.

However, I used VOBBlanker to split cells close to the 50/50 error and when I used Imgburn it found 3 layer break positions in a totally different area to where I split the cells. The same layer break positions were found even when I split cells in different areas over the movie.

Is this right? :unsure:

Oops I said 50/50 error instead of 50/50 area.

I'm not sure if what I said was also clear. There was absolutely no layer break at any of the cells I split, just these three in another totally different spot fairly close to each other.

They all are average star ratings but the first 2 I definitely won't use because they are in a fast moving part of the movie.

Thanks. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.