Strange file format

Antonio Marques

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

After years of using DVD Decrypter (for educational purposes, of course :whistling: ), I recently found ImgBurn, that works like a charm in my Vista machine.

Today, I downloaded a file to upgrade my Toshiba HD-DVD player. The Toshiba support says it is an ISO image, that should be burnt as such in a CD. However - the file comes with a .PRN file extension! I tried to rename it NRG and ISO to no avail.

I also emailed Toshiba support but I'm still waiting for an answer. Any ideas...?

Edited by Antonio Marques

ImgBurn as it stands does not support that / those types of ISO the next version Should.

Edit I should have read your post a bit more carefully before answering. In particular the bit about file extension. (prn)

So now I have to say the next version AFAIK does not support that file extension but the other firmware available for hd-dvd and blu ray from Toshiba and the like are supported by next version of ImgBurn

.PRN? You sure? Doesn't sound like a disk image. Have a look here: http://filext.com/file-extension/prn

EDIT: Got a link handy for the file you downloaded?

Sorry, I meant ".PRG". I even tried to rename it ".NRG" ... :-)

Yep: you can check it out here: http://tesc.toshiba.co.uk/Web/ModelLis.nsf...re?OpenDocument

It is the one for the HD-XE1 model.

the zip file you got extract it again.

ok you need to open up where you extracted it to and then tools / folder options / view

then untick hide extensions for known file types

then apply / OK

then look for the prg file and change the prg at the very end to nrg and you could try burning with ImgBurn but if its multisession or strange format it will fail.

So if you have nero use that

you will have to cancel the nero wizard and use burn image option found under Recorder

these settings should be the default to burn at a low speed

Type of image: Data Mode 1

Raw Data: NOT ticked

Block Size; 2048

Image header size: 0

Image trailer size: 0

Scrambled: NOT ticked

Swapped: NOT ticked

the zip file you got extract it again.

ok you need to open up where you extracted it to and then tools / folder options / view

then untick hide extensions for known file types

then apply / OK

then look for the prg file and change the prg at the very end to nrg and you could try burning with ImgBurn but if its multisession or strange format it will fail.

So if you have nero use that

you will have to cancel the nero wizard and use burn image option found under Recorder

these settings should be the default to burn at a low speed

Type of image: Data Mode 1

Raw Data: NOT ticked

Block Size; 2048

Image header size: 0

Image trailer size: 0

Scrambled: NOT ticked

Swapped: NOT ticked

Thanks for the tip. Did that... It starts OK, but then it generates an error message saying that "track information is invalid". So I guess it is *really* a strange file format and not an NRG image in disguise!

Using ImgBurn or Nero ?

AS I think you will have to use Nero at present ImgBurn does not support more than 1 session.

ImgBurn doesn't even start - it generates an error message saying that the file format is invalid. I then tried with Nero, but after a good start (it seems that it is going to burn it and that everything is OK), then it fails... :-(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.