Problem creating Windows XP bootable disk

chazcon

Hello all, please bear with me, I've searched the forums and read the guides but I'm still missing something.

Trying to burn a bootable Windows XP disk and here's what I've done:

1) Copied my Windows XP Pro CD to HDD.

2) Slipstreamed SP3 RC into Windows XP Pro.

3) Used ISOBuster to extract the .img file from the original CD and save to HDD. On the original CD this file is named Microsoft Corporation.img, size: 2048, emulation: none. When extracted using ISOBuster it retains it's original name.

I've also tried extracting it using ImgBurn as well, and it is named BootImage.ima when using this method.

4) Now I burn my slipstreamed Windows XP Pro SP3 RC to DVD, File System: UDF, label: WXPOEM_EN just like the original CD, Make Image Bootable: enabled, Emulation: none (custom).

5) When the DVD is burned everything is OK except that when checking it using ISOBuster, the .img file is now named ImgBurn.img. The size and emulation is correct.

6) Now when I try to boot from this disk I get the 'Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5' error. I can sucessfully boot from the original Win XP CD, I've got the DVD drive set to boot first in BIOS, etc.

7) My question is this: Do you think the .img file on the new disk having a different name than Microsoft Corporation.img is causing the problem?

Thanks for any advice, cheers.

-c

Edited by chazcon

The boot section of a disc isn't a real file, therefore it has no name. IsoBuster calls it '[implementation ID].img' just for the sake of saving the whole boot section as one file.

Try using ISO9660 + Joliet as the filesystem. In the Bootable Disc tab, did you set Sectors To Load to 4?

In the Bootable Disc tab, did you set Sectors To Load to 4?

OMG this was the problem! I had sectors set to 1. Anyone need a few coasters?

Thank you for the info on the name of the .img file, both of you.

I did also change the File System to ISO 9660, enabled directories over 8 levels and voila! A bootable disc that I have now installed on my system.

Thanks for the kind help to yet another noob.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.