Burnable D/L Discs

Barny

Having taken advice on the Verbatim MKM-001-00 x 2.4 in the build mode of ImgBurn I made my first coaster. Trying again I used DVD Shrink with a dual layer disc setting to Full Back-up and them burnt it with ImgBurn perfectly at 2.4 speed. I don't know if I contributed to the failure with my first try, because I put a printable label on it, so would like opinions if that should be avoided please.

My two DVD burners are the TSSTcorp SH-S182D D/L burner and NEC ND-3580A both firmware up to date, and both excellent with my discs.

I previously used the Ricohjpn-D01-67 printable D/L discs both ways and have had great success with them only finding two discs that were not good. I test them in Nero Toolkit DVD speed after burning and if I find one bit of yellow or red using ScanDisc I throw them away, because I know my Denon DVD-2910 is a bit choosy if the discs are not perfect, although my Panasonic DMR-ES30VEB may play them. Nero will say what chapter the disc is damaged or bad and mark the chapter so it is easy to go straight to that particular chapter on my two DVD players to see what happens. Normally it breaks up or just stops.

I thought this information might help others who can't decide which discs should or shouldn't be used.

Thank you for reply, but can you tell me why it is a bad idea to make a D/L disc the way I did please. This after all was the one that worked where the other in ImgBurn build mode didn't. I have made several the way you suggested perfectly with the Ricoh D/L disc's, but not with the first Verbatim D/L disc I have used.

I have followed all the tutorials I printed from the forum to the letter. Can you also tell me what you mean by "Output to files" I find the VTS files where I keep them and use ImgBurn to use build mode, is this correct?

I used DVD Shrink with a dual layer disc setting to Full Back-up

but can you tell me why it is a bad idea to make a D/L disc the way I did please.

Because DVD Shrink would be an unneccesary step, as it is a compression tool and since you are not doing any compressing it's just extra work for you and your PC.

Can you also tell me what you mean by "Output to files"

Set DVD Shrink, if you must use it, to save to Hard Disc as your output target, not your burner or ISO image file. This will create a VIDEO_TS folder your your HDD which you will open with Imgburn in "build" mode. Imgburn will then determine the correct layer break and an MDS file for you to burn from manually.

Edited by LOCOENG

I have never actually used DVD Shrink to capture files only DVD Fab, once the VIDEO_TS folder was on my hard drive I selected ImgBurn in build mode. The way I did it was to select the build ImgBurn mode VTS files, bought them back into DVD Shrink and made an ISO file again and then burnt it with ImgBurn, which gave me one layer break with OK greyed out, apart from a box at the bottom which I either ticked or unticked. It worked OK but not sure what the box I ticked or unticked was except it was the one on the extreme left.

I don't understand what an MDS file is but I just found out what it does when I used one of my DVD films to see what ImgBurn did in the read file mode. I was expecting it to make VOB files but instead it made an ISO file, then when I bought it into ImgBurn it told me off for not selecting the MDS file but it would do it for me this time but don't do it again. If it would burn without a problem fine but I doubt it.

I have yet to find out when in Mode, does the Discovery mode do? I have just found out what the read does.

To be honest my grandson who likes watching all my Shrek and so on films quite often puts marks on them ( He is nearly 3) so I like to keep copies instead of my originals and that mean s ripping them with something like DVDFab, which I am not sure Imgburn would do that. I really don't want a sermon about ripping because I think when I buy something it is mine, and quite frankly I can get most of these films straight from the TV without any bother about what is legal and what is not. After all what do people make these programs for. I think they all deserve medals.

I don't understand what an MDS file is but I just found out what it does when I used one of my DVD films to see what ImgBurn did in the read file mode. I was expecting it to make VOB files but instead it made an ISO file, then when I bought it into ImgBurn it told me off for not selecting the MDS file but it would do it for me this time but don't do it again. If it would burn without a problem fine but I doubt it.

an MDS file is similar to a BIN and CUE file, whereas 1 of them is the information on what data to burn and in what order and the other is the actual data.

the MDS conatins information about the layer break on dual layer discs, so always choose the MDS if theres one there. You need to keep this in the same folder as the ISO file it relates to as well.

I have yet to find out when in Mode, does the Discovery mode do? I have just found out what the read does.

To be honest my grandson who likes watching all my Shrek and so on films quite often puts marks on them ( He is nearly 3) so I like to keep copies instead of my originals and that mean s ripping them with something like DVDFab, which I am not sure Imgburn would do that. I really don't want a sermon about ripping because I think when I buy something it is mine, and quite frankly I can get most of these films straight from the TV without any bother about what is legal and what is not. After all what do people make these programs for. I think they all deserve medals.

our policies mean we cant/wont/dont discuss ripping of copy protected discs in any way , besides this is the ImgBurn forum and not the dvdfub forum :whistling: and in respect of your opinion you wont get a sermon on the morals of ripping anyway, but we will say no more about it

The MDS file contains your layer break information, DVD Shrink doesn't produce one but Imgburn in build mode does. This information, if choosing the MDS file, tell your burner how to burn the image and where to place the layer break.

If it would burn without a problem fine but I doubt it.

Why wouldn't it?

As for the ripping, Imgburn will not and can not take anything from a protected source and put it onto your HDD. And you won't get any sermons from me as I and many others here feel the same as you regarding your purchases, but due to the circumstances surrounding LUK's last venture discussions of such ripping are taboo on this forum.

EDIT: aaarg, beat to the punch. Cheers vovlo

Edited by LOCOENG

Thank you for all your answers especially about what I mentioned (Will not mention again I promise) But one thing I must say I didn't think you would discuss tits on here either. The answer that blutach gave in another posting here had me and my wife in stitches. Thank you for a good laugh. Aimed at Volvofl10 typo error. Just for your information when I type online I have a free program called IESpell which I check with if there isn't a spell check on the forum.

Thank you for all your answers especially about what I mentioned (Will not mention again I promise) But one thing I must say I didn't think you would discuss tits on here either. The answer that blutach gave in another posting here had me and my wife in stitches. Thank you for a good laugh. Aimed at Volvofl10 typo error. Just for your information when I type online I have a free program called IESpell which I check with if there isn't a spell check on the forum.

the best part is................... i have IESpell as well ,........................ but i never let a bit of software hold me back =))

iespellgk6.png

the best part is................... i have IESpell as well ,........................ but i never let a bit of software hold me back =))

iespellgk6.png

I see the problem now, you are using the U.K. version... :teehee:

I personally use the UK version but do use USA type as well because of website building. HTML doesn't recognise true English spelling. I also like spelling how a word sounds too, like program I always use that and another center. I also like, that you all have a sense of humour.

Edited by Barny

I suspect iespell wouldn't have caught tits - would have to be in the dictionary I reckon.

Hmmmm... Catching tits - depends on how fast the "owner" can run :D :D :D

Regards

I was going to mention iespell wouldn't have caught that particular word, but that is a good thing, because look at the fun we have had with it. Long live typo errors.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.