file size/free space display

moondogger

Would it be possible to put in the settings (or on the GUI) an option to toggle all the file size/free space/image size dislpays between >bytes>Mbytes>Gbytes. I think it would make things easier for some, especially for the newbies who don't know to divide by 1024. Plus it's easier to make your target disc size at a glance when doing backups.

Well, when doing backups, you don't use ImgBurn - it is for burning your project which should be sized correctly to begin with (if it's too big, you'll be notified).

Just remember, a DVD-5 is 4.37Gb = 4482Mb (+R) or 4488Mb (-R). This question has come up before.

Regards

That's just it blu I know how many megabytes but what is that in bytes. And before you get your calculator out, wouldn't it be nice to have that info there instantaneously? But I understand why LUK says what he does an I respect his reasoning.

Also, isn't this where the 'Calculate' button comes in? It tells you how big your project is and how much over/under you are.

Seeing Explorer say it's 4.37GB doesn't really help because obviously there's 50mb (either way) of error in that figure.

So you'll see 4.37GB in there and think hmm I've got 4.37GB free on my disc too so why doesn't it fit?! Displaying in Bytes/Sectors is the only way around that.

EDIT: I've added tooltips to places where size info is shown in bytes, they use this format:

'X bytes (X KB) (X MB) (X GB)'

Yeah, tooltips would be the best way to go, that way the interface isn't cluttered. FWIW, I love how accurate ImgBurn is. Most apps use M$ rounding and as noted it isn't accurate. The only improvement I see in that area is if you calculate it shouldn't have to do it again when burning. It would take a little extra work though to add a watch on the root of all the folders added or all files to see if they changed though which may not be worth it. Most apps don't even give the option to calculate though, so they don't have to deal with it and you don't know till the last min...so I guess we have them beat.

It's not just the folders you have to monitor, it's all the settings too.

A lot of them can change the tree structure or mean different things are required in the way of file systems etc. They all change the total size of the image.

So yeah, as you say, it's not worth it :)

• 16 years later...
On 1/4/2008 at 5:53 AM, LIGHTNING UK! said:

Also, isn't this where the 'Calculate' button comes in? It tells you how big your project is and how much over/under you are.

Seeing Explorer say it's 4.37GB doesn't really help because obviously there's 50mb (either way) of error in that figure.

So you'll see 4.37GB in there and think hmm I've got 4.37GB free on my disc too so why doesn't it fit?! Displaying in Bytes/Sectors is the only way around that.

EDIT: I've added tooltips to places where size info is shown in bytes, they use this format:

'X bytes (X KB) (X MB) (X GB)'

Am I mistaken in thinking that the Calculate button used to be continuous?  I have to click on it each time I add a file to check my available space?  Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.