Autoplay at Vista Ultimate x64

IanStorm

Hallo,

last weekend I upgraded from Vista x86 to Vista x64.

But after installing ImgBurn 2.3.2.0 under administrative rights the Autoplay Dialog of Vista when I insert a blank DVD dosn't show ImgBurn.

I tryed to install it a few times but it won't work.

So I found in this Forum that the Registry Key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Autop layHandlers\EventHandlers\HandleDVDBurningOnArrival]

descripes the autoplay applications.

But ImgBurn dosn't write any information to this key. It only makes keys to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ImgBurn.AutoPlay.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ImgBurn.Build.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ImgBurn.Write.1

So ImgBurn can write to the registry.

On Vista x86 it works fine but now I can't look back if the keys are there generated.

Did anyone have the same issue?

ImgBurn writes those keys based on your settings when the application itself is closed.

So you need to run ImgBurn as Admin for it to work.

I've just tryed it and it wont work for me. I started ImgBurn as Admin - go into settings - unchecked and check both options at shell extensions.

Closed ImgBurn - opened registry - no entry.

Could you give me a registry file or only the parameters i can copy from the board into a file to enter the keys manualy?

ImgBurn writes those keys based on your settings when the application itself is closed.

So you need to run ImgBurn as Admin for it to work.

I've just tryed it and it wont work for me. I started ImgBurn as Admin - go into settings - unchecked and check both options at shell extensions.

Closed ImgBurn - opened registry - no entry.

Could you give me a registry file or only the parameters i can copy from the board into a file to enter the keys manualy?

Now I looked with Process Monitor what ImgBurn writes to the registry.

I found that the needed key will be created in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\HandleDVDBurningOnArrival

for what is the Wow6432Node key???

Run something like 'Process Monitor' (from sysinternals) to capture what's going on when ImgBurn is closed and tries to write to the registry (you can setup a filter just for ImgBurn), it might give you an idea of why it's not working.

Then you can tell me and i'll try and fix it ;)

lol typing at the same time :)

Vista x64 must be translating my 32bit program call to open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft.

I'll see if I can find a way around it.

Thank you for the fast help. I searched the internet and found out how to open the 32Bit registry (regedit -m).

So in the 32 Bit Registry the right keys are there - but in 64 Bit they don't.

Am I the only with this problem? For me it looks like a general 64Bit Vista Problem.

I also tryed DVD Decr........ Same Problem.

Or is it on my Vista installation, but I installed ImgBurn nearly the beginning of installation (right after Firewall and Antivirus).

It would indeed be a vista problem.

At the moment it seems as if only 64bit apps can add autoplay handlers.

MS should either mirror changes in that key on both versions or they should examine both when figuring out what to display in the autoplay boxes.

To fix it for now though you can just do what I said. Export the 32bit key to a reg file, edit it in notepad to remove the non ImgBurn stuff (and any reference to Wow6432Node) and then import it back into the 64bit one.

It would indeed be a vista problem.

At the moment it seems as if only 64bit apps can add autoplay handlers.

MS should either mirror changes in that key on both versions or they should examine both when figuring out what to display in the autoplay boxes.

To fix it for now though you can just do what I said. Export the 32bit key to a reg file, edit it in notepad to remove the non ImgBurn stuff (and any reference to Wow6432Node) and then import it back into the 64bit one.

I've just done it so - it works fine. One Question at last. Process Monitor don't show a registry entry to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\PlayDVDMovieOnArrival

I thougt there was one - when i inserted a DVD Movie then a Autoplay selection appears like "Read using ImgBurn".

At last I will thank you very much for the great and fast support.

I have WinXP 64bit and mine does the same thing. I'll look tonight and see if there is a way around it. What does your call look like that sets the keys in Imgburn? Does it use API (Like RegCreateKey, RegSetValue, etc) or a built-in command C++ Builder has? There may be a new registry API for 64bit. M$ is always good about having perfectly good API calls then adding an "Ex" on the end to make it do something special. Then they like having reserved params for future use too that never get used.

If I find a way to make it write to those keys I'll send you the code or DLL to get the job done. It is most likely a protection thing since 32bit explorer extensions don't work...which kinda sucks since I had some awesome property tab extensions...but as noted this works when manually done and isn't an extension so it should be allowed.

Edited by weisborg

That should be the correct flag. Now, are you specifying that everywhere a flag is needed? The docs say WOW64 isn't smart enough to remember it between calls, so if you open subkeys, etc below the key opened with the flag you must specify it there too, otherwise it opens the 32bit side.

This applies to Creating, Opening, and Deleting too.

Edited by weisborg

Just covering all bases, not meaning any insults. 64bit is a weird beast. I have slipstream DVD of it and regular XP and apply regedit /s tweaks during T13 and regular XP applies fine, but 64 bit only applies half of them...what is weird is it applies the HKLM, but not current user. I'd think the HKLM would be an issue since it is the one split. I'm still trying to get them to apply right, even after install. Not sure what its deal is. M$ seems to have dropped the ball on 64bit. It is a shame too because the main reason I got it was to improve gaming and DVD rendering times. So far I haven't seen much improvement, and driver support is still behind.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.