DVD to CDs for recovery disc

PeterR

Can I use ImgBurn to copy my wife's laptop Recovery DVD (which I gather is a bootable DVD) to CDs which would also be bootable? That is to span the DVD across 4 CDs (like could be done with spanning a CD across floppies)?

The DVD function on the laptop doesn't work - no idea why but we tried everything ages ago - yet the DVD drive works just fine as a CD drive. We have a USB DVD drive for the laptop, but the laptop doesn't have an option to boot from a USB device. We need something bootable in order to install a new hard drive as the old one has failed.

I gather one can use ImageX from Microsoft to do this, but I was just wondering whether ImgBurn would do it?

Thanks

Peter

Can I use ImgBurn to copy my wife's laptop Recovery DVD (which I gather is a bootable DVD) to CDs which would also be bootable? That is to span the DVD across 4 CDs (like could be done with spanning a CD across floppies)?

Nope.

The DVD function on the laptop doesn't work - no idea why but we tried everything ages ago - yet the DVD drive works just fine as a CD drive. We have a USB DVD drive for the laptop, but the laptop doesn't have an option to boot from a USB device. We need something bootable in order to install a new hard drive as the old one has failed.

Why not try this instead? http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

Dontasciime: I don't understand your point at all - how does it relate to my original query?

Shamus: I don't think that would work as you need a Windows CD to complete the process. What I have is a Toshiba recovery DVD - it's not going to work unless you reckon

a) that the DVD would work in the USB drive by the time the Floppies had finished loading

B) that it would work as a Windows CD for the purpose of completing the Windows installation process.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.