Postgap between tracks

cjmeyer

I'm using ImgBurn to create an ISO image that will be used by another program to automaticly burn CD during the night. So far so good. Wehoever I need to know if ImgBurn does include a postgap between the files, haven't found anything in the documentation. The files are mp3 files.

What is Postgap and why is it needed?

Postgap is the 2-second gap after every data track, occupying 150 sectors on a CD ROM master.

DAO CD (Disc at Once) LeadIn

TOC (Table of Contents)

Data Track

Postgap

LeadOut

A CD-R disc that does not contain Postgap can still be read in most, if not all, CD drives, but there are several reasons why Postgap is used and required when authoring your master. The reasons are

You're worrying about nothing.

Postgap is just digital silence - i.e. writing 0's to the sector.

If I was to do that when burning an image it would change the image and that of course is useless.

Your discs will be fine - I often compare what I do against other tools and we all do things the same way.

The postgap is really just a run-off area to make it easier to see the difference between tracks. That might be useful if burning two or more tracks on a disc but I don't see where it's useful if you're burning just the one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.