Thank You!

willb

A couple of days ago, I updated to the new release. It has "fixed" the problem with the Samsung SH-S203B burner! :wub:

I previously had requested help with with one of these burners. It was failing to properly finalise DVD+R, and not setting the book type to DVD-ROM. Also, there was a very large "burst" of PI errors at the end (finalise succeeded on retry).

I replaced the burner, but the replacement developed the same problem after 9 burns. So, another RMA.

The 3rd developed the same problem after 26 burns (about a week ago). I was looking for a different burner, but then ImgBurn 2.4.0.0 became

available. It has fixed (worked around the "poor" Samsung design) very nicely! :)

So Thank you!

he 3rd developed the same problem after 26 burns (about a week ago). I was looking for a different burner, but then ImgBurn 2.4.0.0 became

available. It has fixed (worked around the "poor" Samsung design) very nicely! smile.gif

It might be time to try a better burner! I have only purchased one Samsung and it will be the last!

What do you recommend?

I do apreciate the SH-S203B's ability to do very good burns on most media (including the CMC-magnetics).

I do quality scans on all burns, and a burner that dos not support quality scanning is not accepable to me.

Thank You for the suggestions.

Besides the Samsung SH-S2203B I have an HL-DT-DVDRRW GSA-H30L with S856 FW (HP Suppllied) It seems to work well but is "pickey" about media, and does not support quality scanning (it seems none of the HP Lightscribe drives support quality scanning). The HL-DT-DVDRRW GSA-H30L also does a terrible job with MCC 001-00 media at less than 12x!

(It starts burning at 4x, and the PIPO are way our of spec untill it "switches" to 8x.) The is only an issue when tryinng to burn a project from an external (USB) hard drive (the system can not stream from the USB drive faster than 8x - 10x).

So, I avoid burning from the external USB drive, and burn at 12x.

I had another issue with Verb (Singpore) DL and the Sh-S204B last night. I burned a project at the recommended 2.4x, and got very bad results (PI over 270) in the 2nd layer. I reburned the project at 4x, and got an acceptable result, PI Peak at 64, but again in the second layer.

For now, with ImgBurn 2.4.0.0, I really do not have a problem. So, I am not in a great rush to get another burner.

Will

Edited by willb

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.