Are these discs faulty enough?

kosketus

Hello, I'm new here.

I recently bought a cakebox of 25 Verbatim DVD-R blanks (16x), that I'm having trouble with. I find this surprising because DVDIdentifier tells me they're made by Mitsubishi, which I've understood to be in the top rank of manufacturers.

So far, I've burned 2 iso's (one of them twice). What happens is that ImgBurn burns them successfully but each time verification fails. The log reports one or more read errors. The first one wouldn't even play back in the drive I burned it in, whereas the other two did and all three play back in my other pc's drive.

The first disc was burned at 4x and the other two at 2x. In between I tested by burning the same iso (at 2x) to a TDK DVD-RW disc, and it both burned and verified without a hitch. So, do I have a valid warranty claim or not? Thing is, they can be played - but still it doesn't seem to me to be satisfactory that ImgBurn is getting read errors. Am I being unjustifiably fussy? Is this a shared experience?

I'd appreciate some advice as to what I should do. These things aren't cheap where I live.

The thing is the writer you have was not meant to use those disc's , the disc's you have are 16x and the writer only sees them as 2x. Your writer is quite old and support for the newer disc's has not been added nor is it likely to.

Try and get some TYG02 8x failing that get a new writer.

Well that's clear and simple enough. I appreciate the no-nonsense approach!

I have thought of getting a Samsung SATA multi-drive but my present mobo has only 2 SATA connectors and I have 2 SATA HDDs - so I was saving the optical drive upgrade until a future mobo upgrade, whenever that might be. Meantime I'm a bit disinclined to replace my current drive with equally obsolescent ATAPI technology. Or am I being a bit anal?

I'll try to get some Yuden blanks. I've seen some on the net purportedly Yuden which say "No ID". I take it those are to be avoided at all costs (counterfeit goods?)?

Any other sage advice?

buy them from reputable company, maybe read up on your drive and see what the specs are it may be its only a 4x writer and then go from there, so me telling or rather suggesting you go and buy 8x disc's may be the wrong info.

its time for a new drive as that drive is a 2x max and you are going to need a miracle to keep finding media that drive will work with for much longer.

[edit] :D I had one of these drives paid £199 for it , it broke a few days after buying and returned it and got the pioneer 105 instead. Thought the drive number rang a bell (only wanted it cos of the dvd-ram)

Message received!

So are you saying that I can't expect my LG 4020B drive to write to faster media than (say) 4x?

I had never appreciated before that the drive's write speed limited the speed of the media one could use. I just assumed that the drive's write speed limited the speed at which one could set it to write - regardless of how much faster the media was supposed to be able to write. I've never set mine to write faster than 4x, and generally never faster than 2x, but in doing that I was obeying the rule of good practice that one should never try to burn too fast if you want good quality.

So I thought it didn't matter how fast the media was. But if I've understood right you're saying it does matter - so much so that I might as well replace my drive, since all new DVD-R media these days tends to be 8x at minimum.

It's certainly the case that there have been no firmware updates for this drive for quite a while now and it's a fair bet there aren't going to be any more. Planned obsolescence! And it was only manufactured in Mar 2003 >_<

I had one of these drives paid £199 for it , it broke a few days after buying and returned it and got the pioneer 105 instead.
At least it's always worked well and I 'spose I should be glad I didn't pay anything like that price!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.