US Sci-Fi Channel to air new Doctor Who

digidragon

Watched Rememberance of the Daleks at the weekend, I'd forgotten how good McCoy could be when he was at his best. Never my Favourite Dr, but good in this story. Still cant quite work out how they fitted all those Daleks and the SW Dalek into that small shuttle craft though!! Ordered Ressurection of the Daleks and it should be here tomorrow. :D

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Rememberance of the Daleks at the weekend, I'd forgotten how good McCoy could be when he was at his best. Never my Favourite Dr, but good in this story. Still cant quite work out how they fitted all those Daleks and the SW Dalek into that small shuttle craft though!! Ordered Ressurection of the Daleks and it should be here tomorrow. :D

Maybe the shuttle is larger on the inside than it is the outside? =)) The Daleks did have that technology in The Chase.

Remembrance is a favorite of mine. It works in so well past Dalek history together. I like McCoy. He rolls his R's a little too much :) but, other than that, I don't have a problem.

Resurrection was a disappointment for me. Saward is highly overrated, IMO. While he did craft an excellent story with Earthshock, I've yet to see any other of his that were any good. :lol:

Maybe the shuttle is larger on the inside than it is the outside? =)) The Daleks did have that technology in The Chase.

Remembrance is a favorite of mine. It works in so well past Dalek history together. I like McCoy. He rolls his R's a little too much :) but, other than that, I don't have a problem.

Resurrection was a disappointment for me. Saward is highly overrated, IMO. While he did craft an excellent story with Earthshock, I've yet to see any other of his that were any good. :lol:

Ha! Never thought of that! >_< It seemed pretty small though when the Dr and the gang were in there though.

The biggest disapointment with Ressurection is the acting, some of it is appaling! :( Rodney Bewes is really bad, and some of the minor characters are ropey too. I sometimes think that a lot of bad things that happened to the show could be laid at John Nathan-Turners door. I felt he really lost his way during the Colin Baker years, although to be honest he did genuinley care about the programme and was only trying to take it in new directions. He certainly didnt get on well with Saward anyway.

Wow, that's FAR sooner than I expected! :o

Also confirmed by the BBC site:

US screenings confirmed for September

The SCI FI Channel and BBC Worldwide Americas have confirmed that Doctor Who will return to SCI FI in September 2006.

The run will kick off with a two-hour premiere package that will include David Tennant's debut, The Christmas Invasion.

Chris Regina, Vice President of Programming, SCI FI Channel, said "Our audience has clearly embraced 'Doctor Who' and it has delivered a significant increase in viewers in the time period. We are looking forward to keeping the momentum going with David Tennant as the new Doctor."

Executive Producer and Lead Writer Russell T Davies says, "We were delighted by the first season's success in the US, and can promise new thrills, new laughs, new heartbreak, and some terrifying new aliens in Season Two."

The first season of the new Doctor Who proved a huge success for the SCI FI Channel.

Of the episodes that you haven't seen, there's a great two-parter - The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit - which is excellent. Another one, set in the 50s, The Idiot's Lantern, is also great :thumbup:

Ha! Never thought of that! >_< It seemed pretty small though when the Dr and the gang were in there though.

What I always thought was most interesting. WHY is there a human sized entry hole in the top of the shuttle? :lol: I could understand one Dalek sized, since the Dalek that operates the shuttle is apparently attached to the controls, like in the Absolam Daak stories from the magazine strips. That way, an operator would be inserted or removed and then automatically connected. So, why is there that equally human sized elevator shaft behind the control Dalek? IF there was an elevator for a Dalek to come up, then, why didn't the Doctor bring it up? The answer is probably the budget. :)

• 1 month later...

Reminder to US viewers! New Doctor Who episodes start this Friday! With a mini-marathon of episodes: Dalek, The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, Boom Town, Bad Wolf, and The Parting Of The Ways. Then, shortly thereafter, The Christmas Invasion and New Earth. The Christmas Invasion is listed as 90 minutes, so, my guess is "The Christmas Invasion" is BOTH The Christmas Invasion and Attack Of The Graske. So, US viewers pay attention to that schedule :) that the premiere is actually 2 and a HALF hours long, and not just 2. You'll thank me for it later. :D

I got to thinking about something. I wish the new Who would incorporate Davros into the series. The later thinking has been Davros is a nothing character without the Daleks. Conversely, the Daleks are seen as a weaker character when they are coupled WITH Davros. However, there is an aspect of the current series in regards to the Doctor's character that I think deserves exploring in context with Davros.

Both are now people who have lost their home worlds. The Doctor destroyed Skaro by tricking Davros into activating the Hand Of Omega that he had reprogrammed to turn Skaro's sun super nova. In a way, he has to bear responsibility for the destruction of Skaro. However, directly, he destroyed Gallifrey in the Time War to finally destroy the Daleks. And, he failed again. :wink: He thought he had destroyed the Daleks before by destroying the Emperor. Then, he thought if he could blow up Skaro, that would be the end of it. Finally, forced to drastic measures, he destroys his own home planet in an effort to finally end the Daleks.

So, I think there's some potential for story here. Davros would naturally want to eke out some revenge for what the Doctor did to his home world. In addition to the centuries of what he'd done to him directly and indirectly. And, the Doctor would have to deal with knowing that Davros is partially right. Plus, having had to destroy his own home world, it would make an irresistable target for Davros to dig into the Doctor with. :devil:

Ahem, I would also like to remind those in America to completely disregard the latest Guiness book of world records. Stargate SG-1 is NOT the longest running continuous science fiction series in television history.

SG-1 began in July of 1997 and is still on today, with a total of 203 episodes. Doctor Who, however, ran from 1963 until 1984 without a break in production, tallying up... well, let's make it easy. :D Doctor Who reached its 300th episode in 1971. :lol: Even if we're kind and not count The Five Doctors as an episode, but, as a movie special, that's still 607 unique episodes running from 1963 to 1983.

I was a tad bit worried that Davies brought back Cassandra. It seems he's too keen to return to characters of his too soon. The Slitheen first and now the Lady Cassandra. I am not entirely sure I buy how she came back. :) The cat people as common, everyday hospital workers was a nice touch. I remember when seeing them in previews before I saw Tooth And Claw, I thought they were a part of it.

Technically, they weren't really zombies. :D "A planet ruled by zombies?" They weren't dead, after all. Merely, they had every infection known to man... which begs the question. How, exactly, if they had every known disease... WHY are they only INFECTIOUS by touching? Surely, breathing the same air they're breating into would mean they're also passing air born diseases, IF they have every sickness known to man. ;)

A bit fluff, I will grant you that, but, it wasn't that bad. For once, it takes the overused running down corridors idea and makes it more "believable." :lol: Even adding in running down stairs, jumping onto elevator cables, etc.

I agree with you lfc. I know db has already seen episodes 2 and 3 - quite how he managed it I don't know :whistling: - but there are some great episodes coming up.

Talking of the (US) sci-fi channel, I notice that season 3 of Battlestar Galactica starts on Friday. Having seen season 1 on Sky Three, and season 2 on DVD, I'm totally hooked. I have to see season 3, but I don't know how I could possibly get to see it... :whistling:

Episodes I have seen, but, not JUST the only ones I have thus far. :D

The Christmas Invasion

New Earth

School Reunion

Rise Of The Cybermen

The Age Of Steel

Army Of Ghosts

Doomsday

And, oh, is the end of this season an absolute cracker! :devil:

I am glad they've coupled new Who with new Galactica. Before they were pairing new Who with old Galactica.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.