Imgburn causing system crashes

kanenas

Hello.

I'd like to mention this problem with all the info I have but skip getting into the common cycle of arguments. It'll be simpler to just stop using Imgburn.

The system is XP SP2 fully updated, no virii and such, and working perfectly (including other CD Burn applications). Disk and memory chip checks don't find any errors.

The filter driver chain is:

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.0.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook

Upper Class Filter: [None Found]

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: PzWDM

Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20

Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180

Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name: PzWDM

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\PzWDM.sys

File Version: 1, 0, 0, 59 [1.0.0.59]

File Description: PzWDM.sys

Product Name: PzWDM

Product Version: 1, 0, 0, 0 [1.0.0.0]

Company Name: Prassi Technology

Copyright: © 2004 Prassi Technology, Easy DigiOn Relations Ltd. All rights reserved

Filter Name: PxHelp20

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\PxHelp20.sys

File Version: 3.00.67a [3.0.67.0]

File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP

Product Name: PxHelp20

Product Version: [2.0.0.0]

Company Name: Sonic Solutions

Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions

Filter Name: imapi

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver

Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180

Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

------------------

What happens is the following:

I burn an ISO into a CD with Imgburn.

It writes, verifies and ejects the CD successfully.

When I "x" Imgburn to shut it down, the system crashes with a 0x000000D1 stop error.

This happens repeatedly. The first time it happened (yesterday), for some reason, not only it didn't write a minidump but it also deleted all the ones that were there. Since then, it just doesn't write one (there's nothing to delete I guess). The system settings are correct by the way.

I know the first suggestion will be to remove PzWDM.sys and PxHelp20.sys but I don't see why.

The burn has completed successfully and closing down Imgburn has no reason to invoke these drivers.

Also, all the other burn applications don't seem to have a problem with these drivers loaded so why should Imgburn be so picky? Easy to claim these drivers are not working properly and are incompatible but the reverse could be true.

There really isn't much anyone can do until you get hold of a dump file or at least more info about the BSOD.

Tell the OS not to reboot automatically on error and maybe you can write out what the blue screen says (as cynthia mentioned).

The bad drivers normally cause issues during burning, not just as the application is being closed. Drivers generally are the only things that can BSOD a machine though, programs will just crash and the OS recovers from that just fine - unless you happen to be using Win95 or something! (which I know you're not)

Obviously it hasn't happened to any of us lot (myself or the beta team) so it's something local to your PC, you just need to figure out what it is.

I have the system set up so it doesn't auto-reboot after a crash.

There was no driver name shown on the blue screen.

I should be getting a minidump next time though. That was my fault. During some earlier defragging, I had kept a big swap file on another disk and had removed the mini-swap I usually keep on C: drive. I forgot to put it back and it seems the system skips on the minidump if there's no swap file on C:.

I'll try the crash procedure late tomorrow and let you know. I just inherited an unrecognized (and clicking) 500GB internal SATA disk right after a major power failure that my UPS didn't handle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.