A single request - Support USB

Asteris

Hello to all. I have a single request to make. I'm new in the forum, this is my first message, therefore I do not know if this has been brought up before, so please bear with me if it has. Is it at all possible to have USB devices supported? It would be an immense help if they would, as I'm bringing my usb device to work to have some files backed up and I can't use this programme, because the drive is not recognised (as it is neither an ATAPI nor SCSI device). Could you please do something about it? Thanks in advance for your time to reply.

Edited by Asteris

Can the OS see it?! i.e. in Explorer

It is a CD/DVD Writer - yeah?

Load ImgBurn, press F8.

Close ImgBurn and then load it up again.

You'll see loads of extra stuff in the log.

Save the log and attach it in your next post. (or copy + paste it).

Press F8 again to disable debug mode.

Uh oh! I think I got it. No admin rights. Can't it be used without them?

This is the copy-paste extract from the debugger:

I 16:56:59 ImgBurn Version 1.1.0.0 started!

I 16:56:59 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 1)

W 16:56:59 I/O Interface 'Debug Mode' Enabled!

I 16:56:59 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:56:59 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

E 16:57:04 CreateFile Failed! - Device: '\\.\E:'

E 16:57:04 Reason: Access is denied.

E 16:57:09 CreateFile Failed! - Device: '\\.\F:'

E 16:57:09 Reason: Access is denied.

W 16:57:09 Errors were encountered when trying to access 2 drives.

W 16:57:09 These drives will not be visible in the program.

E 16:57:09 You need Administrative privileges to use SPTI.

W 16:57:09 No devices detected!

I guess you'd turned the log off before then, otherwise I don't think you could have missed those obvious errors!

No, SPTI can only be used by Admins.

Basically you're stuck now unless you can at some point get admin access to the machine.

The other I/O Interfaces will work as a normal user, but you need to be admin to install them.

When I get my hands on admin rights, what layers should I install? And would one logging as admin do the trick for all other times to use the device or not? There was someone today who logged in as admin and I had the drive connected, but it seemes it did not make any impact. Is SPTI working only as admin logs in?

Microsoft designed the SPTI interface to only work when the user is logged in with Administrative rights.

It is/was a security precaution/measure.

If you install ElbyCDIO (via CloneCD / CloneDVD etc - whilst on as admin), you can then login as anyone and have ImgBurn work ok once the I/O Interface is configured to use ElbyCDIO.

Same goes for Patin-Couffin. (via BlindWrite / CopyToDVD).

I wouldn't bother with ASPI, the others are better for use on XP.

When I get my hands on admin rights, what layers should I install? And would one logging as admin do the trick for all other times to use the device or not? There was someone today who logged in as admin and I had the drive connected, but it seemes it did not make any impact. Is SPTI working only as admin logs in?

See if a system adm can set rights for imgburn, doing a little extra work at work?

Thanks for the uick reply, but I am in front of my work's PC now, the drive is seen in XP (OS that the system's running), but it cannot be recognised in Imageburn. What can I do?

ask your self do I need this job and will they fire me when they catch me doing stuff thats not related to my job If they have it set up so that they can monitor what each employee is doing on each computer you might find your in the soup :thumbup:

Edited by LIGHTNING UK!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.