ImgBurn Write Problem

Wolfe

I am posting this concern for a friend of mine, as she is not very technically savvy.

Basically the problem is thus: whenever she opens ImgBurn and goes to the Write section to try and write a DVD, it will not work. Instead of working normally, the text "Device Not Ready (No Reference Position Found)" appears underneath the Write button, while the button itself remains unclickable. I am unsure why this is, and was looking for some help.

The entire process that she uses is identical to mine (use DVDFlick to convert files to DVD-writable files, use IFOEdit to convert them to the proper region format, use ImgBurn to Build the ISO file, then use ImgBurn to Write the DVD). I have no problem with this process, whereas she can go through it fine until trying to actually Write the DVD. Any help here would be very much appreciated.

I have included the Log for the session that she showed me:

I 21:32:15 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 21:32:15 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 21:32:15 Total Physical Memory: 1,038,712 KB - Available: 384,444 KB

I 21:32:15 Initialising SPTI...

I 21:32:15 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 21:32:15 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW!

Of note, she has tried two different types of media for writing:

HP DVD-R 16x / 4.7GB, 120 min video

Sony DVD+R 1x-16x / 4.7 GB, 120 min video

Neither have worked. I have recommended that she perhaps try using a different brand, such as Maxell, Memorex or Verbatim, but we thought that perhaps asking for advice before doing so might be useful, as well as cost-efficient.

Also, the drive that she has is a HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4244, which I believe is of a Hitachi build. There is no more recent firmware/drivers to update the drive, so I do not believe that is the problem. However, this drive in particular has given her trouble in the past, so it might very well just be very finicky. I am unsure.

Again, any extra insight and advice to solving this problem would be most appreciated. If there is any information that would also be helpful, please feel free to ask: I'll do my best to acquire it to help with the process.

Thanks in advance!

mmalves,

Thanks for the reply.

At first, I was sure that that was the case as well, but my friend assured me that, when she paid for her computer, she paid in full for a DVD burning drive as well. I took her word for it, though I had a very good inkling that it happened not to be the case. I guess my doubts have been confirmed.

Thanks for the reply: I'll convey it on to my friend.

Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.