Setting to ignore read error in read and verify more

dirio49

• 7 months later...
It's 110% pointless for Verify mode.

The second it hits a problem it's already failed verification.

If this is your strong position, then why doesn't the program just quit instead of sitting there on a dialog asking you if you want to continue?

I occasionally get a Verify error or two in a DVD movie backup, and these virtually never impact the playback, so if it IS only a couple errors, I declare victory and use the disc anyway.

If the disc has many multiple errors then I'll decide the media is bad and start over.

ImgBurn shouldn't stop-dead when hitting an error in Verify--there should instead be an option telling the program to continue but accumulate the errors, perhaps aborting if exceeding X errors, otherwise continuing and reporting at the end "Verify failed, 3 errors found" or some such.

No there should not, 1 verify error means disc is hosed, however the option retry sometimes reveals that it may be a particle of dust or dirt so clean disc try again (may even be ram errors). Just like when you play a disc in dvd player and it skips but if you rewind it or even after after cleaning it, it does not do it. (dust) (dirt) (heat)

Anyone who keeps a disc that failed verification and relies on it is nuts

I guess insulting users is something LUK condones huh...

Then why, as I asked above, does ImgBurn put-up a dialog awaiting user input, "Verify error...do you want to continue?". Again, if LUK's position is yours, then he should just abort the process for the user "You're screwed" or something, and not just sit there awaiting input.

One might think that the dozens/hundreds of posts here about the problems people have with Verify mode (yes, many/most/all are hardware or media problems, so what? They're still problems and people fret about them) are not enough to get the developer to improve the handling of these errors... :blink:

I guess insulting users is something LUK condones huh...

Then why, as I asked above, does ImgBurn put-up a dialog awaiting user input, "Verify error...do you want to continue?". Again, if LUK's position is yours, then he should just abort the process for the user "You're screwed" or something, and not just sit there awaiting input.

One might think that the dozens/hundreds of posts here about the problems people have with Verify mode (yes, many/most/all are hardware or media problems, so what? They're still problems and people fret about them) are not enough to get the developer to improve the handling of these errors... :blink:

Grow Up

and look at something in a joking manner rather than assuming it was meant as an insult

@laserfan

First, take it easy. Second, you have the option to control affairs. If you wanna continue on, do so. If you wanna stop and dump the disc, you can also do that. In a case such as yours, you might say well, if I got 3 errors only, I'm OK and then abort on the 4th.

But even if the disc verifies with only a few errors (or none at all), doesn't mean it is all that good. A PI scan might show unacceptable errors which leads to bad playback.

All in all, I'd agree with donta. If the disc fails to verify, turf it and try again.

so if it IS only a couple errors, I declare victory and use the disc anyway.

Not much of a victory, unless you are burning at maximum speed on cheap media with a shithouse burner with firmware that is eons behind. Why bother verifying if you'll accept errors?

Regards

First, take it easy.

I've brought this up before to LUK and he's basically said "dumbshit" at me. Neither you nor the other respondant has addressed my point, which remains: OK, LUK and Les, if ImgBurn's position is "One error means you've burnt the toast--throw it out" then why on Earth does the program sit on the error with a dialog that must be manually dismissed!!???? All you guys really sit and watch your burns/verifies when you do these? Hell, it ought at least to eject the thing so you can see at a distance that something's gone wrong. Dumb design.

so if it IS only a couple errors, I declare victory and use the disc anyway.
Not much of a victory, unless you are burning at maximum speed on cheap media with a shithouse burner with firmware that is eons behind. Why bother verifying if you'll accept errors?

And I'm guilty of none of these; don't ASSume! Verbatim, Pioneer, Latest. Again, I would never accept an error on a Data disc but for Videos I've never actually seen errors cause the disc to stop playing. So I'll sometimes accept them. Why do I bother to Verify then? Because once in a while one DOES encounter a completely shit/defective disc, even Verbatim, with multiple errors, and it becomes clear that Aborting & tossing is the right decision.

I'll say it one more time: If ImgBurn thinks Verify Errors are THE END, period, then why bother to continue? Just abort, then. But if ImgBurn still wants to give the user the option to continue, give the user the option to have it continue all the way to the end and not stop-and-wait every bloody time for every bloody error.

OMG you're making such a deal about this!

I'll add the same options to verify mode that read mode has in terms of handing read errors.

Now please quit your whingeing. :P

EDIT: I might have to get you to test it... I don't ever have any discs that fail to verify due to read errors.

EDIT: I might have to get you to test it... I don't ever have any discs that fail to verify due to read errors.

Couldn't you write an image, scratch the disc and then verify it separately?

@laserfan

That quote is exactly what you said in post 4.

And, I have very much seen a disc stop playing if there are verify errors - usually it means much of the rest of it is crappy, too.

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.