Bad command for Samsung DVD-ROM drive?

laserfan

I attempted a "make iso from disc" for a CD in my Samsung TS-H352A and ImgBurn immediately stuck on "Setting Samsung High Speed Mode..." and after a minute or two of doing nothing that I could see, or placing anything in the log, I aborted (or tried to abort) but nothing happened then either. I finally did CTL-ALT-DEL and tried to kill the imgburn.exe process and that didn't work either. Tried restarting the PC and it wouldn't shut-down normally.

Powered-off, and on re-starting the computer the drive is no longer detected in BIOS.

Dunno what "Setting Samsung High Speed mode" is supposed to do but I have a dead drive (with a CD stuck inside) as a result. I'll come back here and report if I'm able to revive it; so far no good. :(

Edited by laserfan

Sending a command to a drive shouldn't kill it, it should just reject it if it's not supported.

I'm not familiar with that particular model but I've seen a fair few other mentioned in the forums and nobody else has come forward with a problem like that.

You can paralyze a device with commands (I did this to a HDD connected through VESA-LocalBus-ATAPI on a 486er),

just pull the power plug of the device and have a fresh coffee (ca. 10min).

Then repower the device.

Sending a command to a drive shouldn't kill it, it should just reject it if it's not supported. I'm not familiar with that particular model but I've seen a fair few other mentioned in the forums and nobody else has come forward with a problem like that.

Well then I'm the first. At the least I would strongly suggest that you disable as Default the Enable High Speed Mode (Samsung) setting in the Read Settings menu, to save anyone else a similar fate.

While I agree that it *shouldn't* have killed my drive, but I am certainly convinced that somehow it *did*. I've built a fair number of computers and worked on many many more and this just did not have the look of coincidence. At least it was a cheap drive, but still... :(

Consider it disabled / removed.

I'm almost tempted to try and get one of those drives and have a mess around with it.

I wonder if mtkflash could be used to salvage it?

Anyway, if that command really did kill it, I can only apologise :(

It's been fine on my S203B so it's not like I have / had any reason to think it could be dangerous!

No hard feelings I hope.

I do appreciate that you trusted my report and will change the default--this particular model (firmware TS05 btw) must have a thin skin. I've already substituted an old(er) Pio DVR103 in that position so I'm back in business, my main drive being a 109. But I think the Sammy's dead given the BIOS doesn't see it (even keeps the Master from being "seen" if it's plugged-in).

No hard feelings--I never contributed to that "other" piece of software of yours I (still) have around here someplace (!) so I'm still ahead of the game I think. :innocent:

I would just like to say I have had plenty of Samsung DVD-ROM drives that worked OK 1 minute and Broke the next with various symptoms .

No bios detection being one of them, another drive being recognised as Samslung ¬/$ in bios (or similar) to not being able to read DVD,s but Cd's being fine, no power at all on another one clicking noise could go on for a while as I have had about 20 of them go off their DVD -Roms do not last long IMO.

That command must also be in the samsung utils they release so If your convinced take it up with Samsung.

I appreciate the advice, but the drive's 3 yrs old (almost to the day). Only paid $25+ for it so I'm not losing any sleep.

Whatever the "Setting High Speed" command did certainly hung the thing-up somehow, though it is possible if-not-likely that my CTL-ALT-DEL and then shutdown efforts are what actually killed it. In any case I felt I had to post to get LUK's attention, and he has responded exactly the way I'd have expected and hoped (to not make that command a default).

If you have ever worked in a (good) restaurant, you know that they APPRECIATE when customers tell them the food tastes bad, so they can pull it and not make anyone sick! :)

If you have ever worked in a (good) restaurant, you know that they APPRECIATE when customers tell them the food tastes bad

Wow, obviously no one here knows what a good restaurant is!!!! :'(

Well, I'm sure LUK understands the analogy...

lol course we do.

McDonalds, Burger King, KFC... they're all good ;)

Seriously though, if someone reports that their drive has been permanently damaged by a command ImgBurn issues and I cannot say with 100% certainty that the command is safe then I have a responsibility to ensure it doesn't happen again by removing said command from the program (or at least any automatic calls to it).

McDonalds, Burger King, KFC... they're all good ;)
I must say for all my visits to the UK I did enjoy the food! Though I must admit I still find the word "bangers" pretty funny!

Thanks again for fretting along with me and my tribulations. I have edited the thread title to look less panicky--there are many things in life which look alot better in the rear-view mirror...

I attempted a "make iso from disc" for a CD in my Samsung TS-H352A and ImgBurn immediately stuck on "Setting Samsung High Speed Mode..."

Guess what just happened! :o

I wanted to create an ISO from a CD using the very same model. When the message "Setting Samsung High Speed mode" appeared in the status bar, I heard a "pling!" coming from the drive. ImgBurn froze in that moment and so did XP. Drive dead.

I'm just glad it wasn't the Samsung burner I put the CD in but then again that's the reason why I have 2 separate drives - one for burning, the other one just for reading.

FWIW, the drive was connected as a secondary master to the nForce4 PATA controller (using the MS ATAPI driver) and was flashed with the latest firmware version TS05 (RPC1).

Anyway, I hope this setting gets removed.

Edited by AlphaDog

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.