Getting "Write Error" every time now??

degas

It should have always been hardware related! Software isn't supposed to change the error messages a drive returns when something screws up.... that would be highly annoying!

If you're worried, have tried loads of media and can't wait for an official firmware update, return the drive and get a different one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you're right.

But I haven't read of anyone else with this problem, so I'm not sure it's firmware related.

Just thinking if there's anything else I could try, before RMA (wonder if they can see I've flashed the firmware, even though it's now back on the original fw)?

And everything looks good with cables (could try to put it on the middle connector instead of the last one), DMA and Mobo as far as I can tell.

The only place a power calibration error should come from is a drive / media / firmware issue.

Cables and stuff shouldn't really come into it.

If you've read about lots of people burning the same media as you without a problem (and you're sure yours aren't fakes!), I guess you must just have a faulty drive.

Take it back and demand they replace all the media you've wasted ;)

Yes, several people used this media with success (MCC003 mostly, but also MCC03RG20).

Well i can't be certain that they're not fakes of course...but I don't believe they are (have used them for about 1 year now with my NEC 2500 without problem...except that the 2500 is now dead).

Actually, I haven't read any reports like this even on crappy media...that's why I'm suspecting the drive.

Otherwise, seems to be a good drive. :D

Gonna try to RMA it since it's only about 10 days old.

Yiiihoooo!

:D

I just read something on cdfreakz, about someone who had problems like this. It seems his mobo was doing weird stuff with IDE (he had Intel).

I have Asus PC800-E DeLuxe, but I think there are some Intel drivers involved...should I try something (:D) or should I just save the time and RMA?

:)

Again, this comes down to something actually changing the error codes the drive is returning.

I honestly can't see that happening!

Driver wise, all you can do is get the latest chipset drivers and ata (application accelerator - might be called Raid Matrix or something now?!) software from the Intel site. That's what I do and (touch wood), mine is ok! Mine is the Intel 875 chipset, not sure what you have on that board (and I'm too lazy to search google :P )

Yes, that's the one. I just spelled it wrong.

Got the latest BIOS, but the drivers are out of date...to say the least.

I'll try some updates now.

But does these have anything to do with the dvd burner?

Edited by degas

Nah, nothing to write home about.

Now this is going back to the store.

Sometimes you just have to decide how many coasters you are willing to burn...and well, I have certainly crossed that line now!

But thanks again all, for your help and patience. :)

Nah, nothing to write home about.

Now this is going back to the store.

Sometimes you just have to decide how many coasters you are willing to burn...and well, I have certainly crossed that line now!

But thanks again all, for your help and patience. :)

try rolling back the ide driver to the msdefault one for the channel the burner is on,

had that mobo for almost a year right after it came out

:o I almost thought that burner was going back then....... :lol:

LoL! :D

It is, but I could always try a few things while waitng on the RMA form.

Unless you've established another burner works fine in that computer and this burner

doesn't work in another computer, you've not found the problem.

No amount of educated guesswork replaces that test.

I had a Nec ND-2500 in this computer, before I put the 4551 in.

It worked flawlessly until the laser died on New Years Eve.

The thing is, I think I've tried almost everything now. And if I return it now (before 14 days), there's a "no questions asked" policy.

But by all means, if you have anything to contibrute - bring it on! :)

Given the short timescale tho I don't think you have anything to lose by returning it for another one. If the new one is still problematic you can then follow the advice that chewy and others can offer to pinpoint whats going on :thumbup:

That's my 2 cents worth anyways....

Given the short timescale tho I don't think you have anything to lose by returning it for another one. If the new one is still problematic you can then follow the advice that chewy and others can offer to pinpoint whats going on :thumbup:

That's my 2 cents worth anyways....

My thought excactly.

The plan is to return it, get antother one. If for some reason that one won't work...well, you guys will be the first to hear about it. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.