ImgBurn Install Changes DVD Decrypter layer break choice?

fordman

Hello,

I was using DVDD 3.5.4.0 and saw ImgBurn 1.1.0.0, which I installed. I declined to uninstall DVDD when it asked, however.

Does the "engine" for ImgBurn in any way affect the choice of a layer break in DVDD when I burn with DVDD and open the .MDS file which I created with DVDD? (EDIT - note that the .MDS was created when reading the disc to an ISO image - I did not use the separate option to create a .MDS file, which I realize does NOT parse ISO files to find the original LB position)

I ask because, despite installing ImgBurn, I decided to continue using DVDD to burn some dual layer images I had read to my HD with DVDD. As usual I opened the .MDS file and in the LOG it showed that it was using the VOBU/ECC method of finding the optimal layer break position, instead of "copied from original image" like it always used to.

So, is there a .DLL file that ImgBurn installed that overwrote what DVDD was using and is not affecting the choice of layer break position in DVDD?

This happened for a total of 4 images now.....did DVDD just burn them in the dumb ISO mode and ignore the .MDS information?

Thanks,

Ford Man

Edited by fordman

The two apps are standalone, nothing gets deleted, uninstalled or overwritten.

The bit you declined during the install of ImgBurn was nothing to do with the removal of DVD Decrypter, it was just to clean up your context menus so you didn't end up with 'Burn using DVD Decrypter' AND 'Burn using ImgBurn' when you right click an ISO image.

Having both is pointless and as waste of space - hence why ImgBurn offers to clean it up for you.

If the MDS file you have hasn't just been made by the 'Create DVD MDS File' option in the tools menu, the problem you're having with DL burns is that the images you're burning are from PTP DVDROM discs. You can't always burn such images onto an OTP disc because for OTP, Layer 0 must be bigger than (or the same size as) Layer 1.

That is not true for PTP, where Layer 1 can be bigger than Layer 0.

If the layerbreak position read from the MDS file is such that it cannot go on an OTP disc, the program has to attempt to move it.

How well that works out is anyones guess!

You should always use ImgBurn for DL burning now, it has other neat tricks that DVD Dec doesn't.

The two apps are standalone, nothing gets deleted, uninstalled or overwritten.

The bit you declined during the install of ImgBurn was nothing to do with the removal of DVD Decrypter, it was just to clean up your context menus so you didn't end up with 'Burn using DVD Decrypter' AND 'Burn using ImgBurn' when you right click an ISO image.

Having both is pointless and as waste of space - hence why ImgBurn offers to clean it up for you.

If the MDS file you have hasn't just been made by the 'Create DVD MDS File' option in the tools menu, the problem you're having with DL burns is that the images you're burning are from PTP DVDROM discs. You can't always burn such images onto an OTP disc because for OTP, Layer 0 must be bigger than (or the same size as) Layer 1.

That is not true for PTP, where Layer 1 can be bigger than Layer 0.

If the layerbreak position read from the MDS file is such that it cannot go on an OTP disc, the program has to attempt to move it.

How well that works out is anyones guess!

You should always use ImgBurn for DL burning now, it has other neat tricks that DVD Dec doesn't.

Thanks for the quick reply - I realized the ambiguity in my statement and edited my post to confirm that the .MDS was created automatically when I read the disc (4 total - 3 from one set, 1 separate) to ISO image.

So, it appears this was a coincidence then that I ran into my first 4 (2 if you count that 3 were from the same set) discs with PTP authoring after installing ImgBurn.

On another, but related subject: If I understand it correctly, if I have an DL ISO file without a .MDS file, I should use ImgBurn's option to parse and create a .MDS file, and burn with that .MDS? The .MDS should function as if it was made along with the image in DVDD?

Thanks again,

fordman

No, you don't need to make an MDS file at all - and in any case, it still doesn't add layerbreak information to it.

You'd just load the ISO in ImgBurn, it'll parse the IFO files at then time of burning.

Thanks - I read somewhere on the forum a recommendation to create a .MDS from the DL ISO, so I thought it must parse the ISO and create a .MDS with the LB info in it. Thanks for confirming that the MDS creation utility functions as it did in DVDD.

By the way, I confirmed that those discs were indeed parallel track path, thus the selection of the VOBU/ECC boundary for the LB!

• 3 weeks later...
...The problem you're having with DL burns is that the images you're burning are from PTP DVDROM discs. You can't always burn such images onto an OTP disc because for OTP, Layer 0 must be bigger than (or the same size as) Layer 1. That is not true for PTP, where Layer 1 can be bigger than Layer 0.

If the layerbreak position read from the MDS file is such that it cannot go on an OTP disc, the program has to attempt to move it. How well that works out is anyones guess!

I'm a DVD+R DL user and I haven't had this situation yet. Will ImgBurn let me know if I'm trying to burn a PTP image on a OTP disc before it's starts burning the image? Or, can I tell from looking at the ISO (before I try to burn it). If so, what program can I use?

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks for ImgBurn. I'm using it with PgcEdit, Verbatim DVD+R DL and my DL disc copies are now perfect. Now, it's very hard to tell when my DVD players are switching layers. What a difference. Thanks again. :)

If PgeEdit is creating the ISO you're then burning with ImgBurn, you shouldn't have a problem with a disc originally being a PTP one. PgcEdit will insert padding where it needs to so that you can still have a nice cell to position the layer break on.

If you're not using PgcEdit, ImgBurn will inform you if it's unable to find a place to put the layer break. Being a PTP doesn't mean it will always fail... just it could do.

To see if the disc is PTP, put it in the drive and look at the info window panel on the right within ImgBurn - or use something like DVDInfoPro and look at the media information.

If PgeEdit is creating the ISO you're then burning with ImgBurn, you shouldn't have a problem with a disc originally being a PTP one. PgcEdit will insert padding where it needs to so that you can still have a nice cell to position the layer break on.

If you're not using PgcEdit, ImgBurn will inform you if it's unable to find a place to put the layer break. Being a PTP doesn't mean it will always fail... just it could do.

To see if the disc is PTP, put it in the drive and look at the info window panel on the right within ImgBurn - or use something like DVDInfoPro and look at the media information.

Sounds good. Thanks. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.