DL question - VOBU/ECC

geohei

Hi.

I created an image for a DL DVD+R using Adobe Encore DVD (2.0). When I burn the DVD using Encore, it's unreadable (for some reason). I was told to avoid Nero and use ImgBurn instead.

Are the default ImgBurn settings the best choice?

By mistake, I burned a DVD using this feature (out of the log):

W 18:15:54 User has ignored layer break options and instead reverted to VOBU/ECC search!

I 18:15:54 Optimal L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2.065.152

I 18:15:54 Optimal L0 Data Zone Method: ECC Block Boundary, VOBU Boundary

- What does this mean?

- Do I have to expect problems with this DVD?

Thanks,

... later ...

The verify for this DVD failed :(

Edited by geohei

I don't have to create an img file. I can also instruct Encore to create a VIDEO_TS folder including the .vob/.ifo/.bup files (makes the use of WinRAR obsolete). Is this preferential to the .img file when it comes to burning the stuff using ImgBurn?

What about the VOBU/ECC question? Nobody knows? (and the other questions ...)

2 DL DVDs failed now. It starts to become expensive! The first DVD failed at the very end, the second in the middle.

I 18:07:51 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!

I 18:07:51 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 18:07:51 Total Physical Memory: 2.094.352 KB - Available: 1.220.080 KB

W 18:07:51 Drive X:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

W 18:07:51 Drive Y:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 18:07:51 Initialising SPTI...

I 18:07:51 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 18:07:51 Found 2 DVD-ROMs and 1 DVD

Yes it's better to feed ImgBurn the IFO/VOB/BUP files.

That way it has more control over the alignment of Cells when it comes to making a decent layer break point.

You ignoring the nicely aligned cell / layer break options has nothing to do with why the verify failed. It failed because your drive produced a bad burn on that media. That happens a lot when you use the cheapo double layer discs and it's why we recommend people buy the Verbatim ones instead. They cost more because they actually work!

ECC/VOBU is the fallback method for burning DL content. It breaks the DVD Video specs because they say that the layer break should no occur in the middle of a cell. Some players will just give up at the LB point if that's the case, others will play on regardless. Splitting it properly at a cell will give you a more compatible disc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.