x64 advantages

dapnepep

Does anyone know if there would be huge gain if there were a 64 bit version of IMG? Im running Vista Ultimate x64 and IMG works but seems a bit sluggish. Provided Im running this on a VAIO laptop, but still you would think that the x86 version would work fine with a c2d and 4gigs of ram.

Chewy, i dont think vista is making it sluggish since ive been using vista and IMG since the vista technical beta started 2 years ago. The 32bit version works fine with Vista and Server 2008 but both x64 versions are sluggish, and i dont think its lack of drivers for my ODD. Its a SATA drive and fairly new.

LIGHTNING UK!, I'm sorry to hear that its not currently possible with the dev. tools you're using. When it is you should totally go for it though! it might be a total pain but will be worth it in the long run.

Microsoft has officially announced they will not be creating another 32bit OS and everything will be moving x64 in the next 2 years.

Just some thoughts...

does running it in 32 bit compatibility mode help?

when you run a version of windows that is 64 bit it will allow 64 bit programs full access to the 64 bit processor and 32 bit programs will get access to half of that. So there really isnt a 32 bit "compatibility" mode rather its virtualization from the start. its stupid how they do it but it saves lots of hassle from standard users not knowing what run x64 and what runs x86.

so to answer your question there isnt a way to run it like that and its technically running it in a compatibility mode as is.

It's not that ImgBurn uses much CPU. A poofteenth of a CPU cycle, every now and then.

It's not me who'd be doing the work, but I just wonder the enhancement that anyone would get.

Regards

well as lightning uk said his dev tools dont support x64 and might not for some time. hopefully when it does there could be a possibility of a x64 version, but alas, only timme will tell.

my bet is that by 2015 there wont be anymore x86 apps being written for consumers and it will become an enthusiast hobby if anything. by that time the corporate world will have gained a better understanding of program architecture and 128bit processors in servers will be the next big thing

128bit uses

I believe this is the processor to take us there eventually Itanium

now, this is all great on the technological advances side of things and is completely unrelated to IMG in anyway and will probably never be useful for creating normal cds and dvds. Though, next gen OD's such as Blueray and HD dvds might benefit from this as more instructions will be capable of being processed and executed in a lesser time frame. now if only the hardware can catch up to our theorys...

maybe for small apps in the immediate future, but in the long run there will be nothing for them. 32 bit will go by the way side just like 16bit has

• 1 year later...

I'm not a software guru and I'll even admit to not having all the answers, because if I did I'd be a trillionaire. I must agree 100% though that 64 bit will soon be standard. That bit about loads of time I'm not buying 1 bit, and when it comes to computers no one should. This whole genre of ours is a one day here's what's in, and another day here's the new in and here's what's out. So it's not a matter of when rather than it's coming and pretty quick too.

I haven't any issues whatsoever w/ImgBurn running on my 7 x64 Home, and whether or not it will improve in performance is a mood point. Bottom line is that you either pay now or pay later. Everyone's going to pay though. So from a business perspective which I usually always look at everything since it's the most practical way of doing so, I'd wouldn't wait too long to go x64 or at least have a 64 bit version. R&D not permitting it as of yet is of course reasonable. No money no honey. Or is it hunny? :)

Otn, I just wouldn't like to see ImgBurn go the way of many other non-supported softwares that were excellent and useless today. I've run many burning copying apps., even one that was given free because of a question I pointed out that never was asked, and still Imgburn reminds me to stop wasting my time w/them. Reason being that whether or not they have different features, if the damn thing isn't compatible w/my PC than it's useless. ImgBurn never worked because of incompatibility, or some other crazy bug causing my system to go bonkers.

I'll ride it till it hits the beach like the saying goes. Hopefully it will take it's time to reach shore or never will. :thumbup:

Otn, I just wouldn't like to see ImgBurn go the way of many other non-supported softwares that were excellent and useless today. I've run many burning copying apps., even one that was given free because of a question I pointed out that never was asked, and still Imgburn reminds me to stop wasting my time w/them. Reason being that whether or not they have different features, if the damn thing isn't compatible w/my PC than it's useless. ImgBurn never worked because of incompatibility, or some other crazy bug causing my system to go bonkers.

I'll ride it till it hits the beach like the saying goes. Hopefully it will take it's time to reach shore or never will. :thumbup:

I have been using Vista Ultimate x64 for over a year now, because I forsaw where the OS was headed; that is why I am waiting for Windows 8 before another OS change. Anyways from the getgo I installed IMGburn and have used it successfully since then, with no hicups or problems. If you are having problems that it is with your system and not from the program. To me it is a very easy to use program that does what it was designed for with minimal effort.

BTW Lightning UK, thank you for a great free program.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.