very interesting imgburn problem

wario

Hey all, me again.

I've come with a rather interesting problem. A while back, I burned a movie to a dvd. Not in ISO form, not a full dvd, nothing like that. I just put it on the dvd like any other piece of data. For simplicity let's call it BSJ (that name has nothing to do with the movie title). I also put another folder on that same dvd that contained 6 other videos. All work fine. Okey-dokey

Yesterday, I tried to copy the contents of that dvd onto my hardrive. Here's where things get interesting.

-First: Trying to copy JUST BSJ onto the hardrive (copy+paste) resulted in Windows telling me "Unexpected Error. Error 0x80070450 No More Data is on the Tape ... whatever the hell that means

-Second: I tried copying JUST the other folder with the 6 videos. Worked FINE, copied no problem.

-Third: I open up imgburn and try to make an ISO from the disc - the craziness continues - here's the log:

I 09:40:32 ImgBurn Version 2.4.0.0 started!

I 09:40:32 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 09:40:32 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,616 KB - Available: 1,354,712 KB

I 09:40:33 Initialising SPTI...

I 09:40:33 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 09:40:33 Found 1 DVD-ROM, 1 DVD

Log.txt

As I can understand it you can't read the previously burned disc with either ImgBurn or Nero.

Sounds as a bad burn to me. Do you verify your discs in the stage after the writing stage when you burn? Scratched/dirty disc surface?

:)

It's just never happened before to me - being able to copy, make ISO, read part of a dvd perfectly, yet have another part be totally messed up?!?! If that's not interesting, then by golly what is!??!! :thumbsup: (btw, you really need an interrobang smilie!)

Using imgburn (or any other idea) - is there a way to get that file (BSJ) from that DVD? I kinda need it...kinda REALLY need it on my harddrive.

thanks for the input so far!

Edited by wario

ok thanks for the tip. I'll report back to tell you all how it goes!

UPDATE:

OK, so I've used ISOPuzzle, and as expected it reported a bunch of errors while creating the ISO, but I let it run for a while, then I stopped it and mounted the ISO in daemon tools. I then tried opening up that video file and it played. Then I tried copying and pasting the file onto my harddrive, and boom it worked! Now the last step is to see if I can burn it onto another DVD! You may have saved the day mmalves!!!

Edited by wario

Using imgburn (or any other idea) - is there a way to get that file (BSJ) from that DVD? I kinda need it...kinda REALLY need it on my harddrive.

thanks for the input so far!

It's a movie right? Re-rip it from your original. Makes it real easy.

PS This is what backups are for. Something goes wrong, you pull out the original and redo it.

So, forget about this disc and go get your original.

Regards

Just so long as you know the file isn't perfect. The hard read errors have now just become blank sectors.

Thank you for the reminder. I will certainly keep that in mind. It's too easy to think of this as a "magic solution", but you're right - those error ARE going to be factored in the movie <_<

So, forget about this disc and go get your original.

Err...what original? The file I am calling BSJ was an anime movie in HD that was only available for download (in North America at least) some time ago. I downloaded it, watched it, then put it onto a DVD for safekeeping. Now what I wanted to do was get it onto another DVD. that's where this whole mess started. Speaking of which - Imgburn could really be enhanced with a 1:1 copy option. Making an image and then burning is not an ideal solution many times. Heck, even Nero has an option to go straight from dvd to dvd (though I doubt it does it 1:1). So yah, that'd be awesome if a 1:1 copy option was introduced in the future.

Once again, many thanks for all the help and tips.

I sometimes wonder, when people are dopey enough to admit they are pirates. pirate.gif pirate.gif

Don't even know where to begin smacking that ignorant comment down...

no offence, but...

I sometimes wonder, when people are dopey enough to show their ignorance to everyone else on an online forum. :rolleyes:

@LOCO

If it was a freebie, OK to DL and copy, wario wouldn't be so coy about the name of the movie.

For simplicity let's call it BSJ (that name has nothing to do with the movie title)

@wario

You dug yourself into a hole due to your stupidity (it was bloody obvious from post 1 that you were a pirate); don't try getting out of it by retaliating. You've been given some help - be grateful. Or are you so upset that poor old torrentspy has closed and you can't DL it (and other things illegally) again?

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.