Imgburn or DVD Decrypter

happy37

Hi all

From reading here on the forums, I have found out all I wanted to know about Imgburn as I know it is not a ripper as it only burns image files that are previously saved on the hard drive.

Yet, the one question that I would like to have answered is this:-

What advantage does Imgburn have over DVD Decrypter if I want to switch to using Imgburn to burn .ISO images of films to Dual-Layer discs? Shall I carry on using DVD Decrypter or shall I switch to Imgburn?

Are there any new tricks that Imgburn does that make the DL burns better than DVD D?

I am using Verbatim DVD+R DL discs and a Sony DRU-800A rewriter which is brand new for DL burns - how does this combo work? - has anyone had any problems?

What does Imgburn do that DVD Decrypter doesn't when burning to Dual-Layer discs? - BTW - I have also read about re-naming the DVD Decrypter .exe file to Imgburn, or something like that...

What would this do, and to what advantage, and could someone please explain how to go about doing it in more detail if I would need to it for myself?

Also, is it recommended to keep both DVD Decrypter and Imgburn installed on the one PC, or shall I uninstall DVD D and just keep Imgburn on there?

I look forward to any responses - all are welcome...

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Well for a start DVD Decrypter is no longer supported, due to legal reasons that all stopped last summer. So although it still remains a fantastic program it ain't gonna get any better than it is now !

ImgBurn is Lightning UK!'s new baby, as you know it takes the write part of DVDD and makes it better. There is a support forum (here !! :D ), support for new burners and new improvements are being made all the time, such as the ability to queue burns on mulitple drives if you have them.

Read jmet's guide about Shrink and ImgBurn, if you use Shrink it may be of use to you !

Well for a start DVD Decrypter is no longer supported, due to legal reasons that all stopped last summer. So although it still remains a fantastic program it ain't gonna get any better than it is now !

ImgBurn is Lightning UK!'s new baby, as you know it takes the write part of DVDD and makes it better. There is a support forum (here !! :D ), support for new burners and new improvements are being made all the time, such as the ability to queue burns on mulitple drives if you have them.

Read jmet's guide about Shrink and ImgBurn, if you use Shrink it may be of use to you !

Hi lfcrule1972

Thanks for letting me know about this - I do not use DVD Shrink, yet thanks for the link(s) anyway.

Also, is it recommended to keep both DVD Decrypter and Imgburn installed on the one PC, or shall I uninstall DVD D and just keep Imgburn on there?

Are there any new tricks that Imgburn does that make the DL burns better than DVD D?

Please let me know - I look forward to a response.

Regards

Edited by happy37

Mmm well I purposely didn't answer the DVDD v ImgBurn program part :D You already know why they are different and that one does something the other can't. It's your choice - they are not going to clash if you worried about that but I can't say anymore.

Tricks ? :sorcerer::lol: Well as I said above ImgBurn is under continuous development, therefore new burners are always being supported and whilst I don't know of any specific improvements to DL burning with ImgBurn I do all my burning with it :thumbup:

Mmm well I purposely didn't answer the DVDD v ImgBurn program part :D You already know why they are different and that one does something the other can't. It's your choice - they are not going to clash if you worried about that but I can't say anymore.

Tricks ? :sorcerer::lol: Well as I said above ImgBurn is under continuous development, therefore new burners are always being supported and whilst I don't know of any specific improvements to DL burning with ImgBurn I do all my burning with it :thumbup:

lfcrule1972

Thanks again - yet I am really interested about the DL burning part of Imgburn as I had mixed success with DVD D.

Lightning UK - would you care to add anything about any specific improvements of DL burning in Imgburn?

Please let me know - I look forward to a response.

Regards

Edited by happy37

What probs have you had with DL burning ? I have only burnt around 10 DL discs but using Verbatim DVD+R DL all of them have been flawless with DVDD and now ImgBurn.

Do you use the Verb DVD+R DL's ? I have read of a lot of problems with other dyes when making DL burns....

What probs have you had with DL burning ? I have only burnt around 10 DL discs but using Verbatim DVD+R DL all of them have been flawless with DVDD and now ImgBurn.

Do you use the Verb DVD+R DL's ? I have read of a lot of problems with other dyes when making DL burns....

I only use Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x speed media/discs for my burning.

I have already used the ISO Read/ISO Write modes in DVD Decrypter to burn my discs to Verbatim DVD+R DL discs and it has worked fine so far, with some exception(s).

I thought that I was told to set the booktype to DVD-ROM to ensure maximum compatibility with other DVD players???

I have successfully backed up/copied 15 of my movies so far using the Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x speed media and I set the booktype to DVD-ROM and they work okay in my PC as well as my Pioneer standalone player.

These do not work/did not work if I had left the booktype as DVD+R DL.

Yet, having said that, I also have got another 11 copies of my movies that I've left as DVD+R DL booktype and they ALL work in my standalone Pioneer player, so what is going on?

These do not work/did not work if I had left the booktype as DVD-ROM.

What should I be setting the booktype setting to by default? - shall I leave it as DVD-ROM, or shall I leave it as DVD+R DL?

I have also got 2 other movies that I have not backed up as yet as my rewriter needed to be replaced - I have since replaced my Sony DW-D22A rewriter with the Sony DRU-800A rewriter and have burnt one previous, failed disc as a DVD-ROM and it plays fine on my PC and the standalone player.

I have yet to attempt to burn the 2 remaining discs, yet what should I be setting the booktype setting to by default? - shall I leave it as DVD-ROM, or shall I leave it as DVD+R DL?

Shall I now switch to Imgburn to burn the above 2 discs and any other failed ones that I couldn't do with DVD Decrypter?

I look forward to a response and any advice and suggestions that you may wish to pass on.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

ImgBurn doesn't NEED the MDS file to get the layerbreak position right.

So long as the image is correct, it will parse the IFO files and find where it should put it.

That's the major difference.

It adds a bit more info to the log for people that like to know exactly what's happening, stops you from doing some silly things and of course you can now view the burn speeds in a nice graph using DVDInfoPro.

Other than that, I don't know of any way to improve upon what DVD Decrypter already did!

Put it this way, there is certainly no reason NOT to use ImgBurn over DVD Decrypter for burning suttf.

Most older players probably prefer it to be set as DVDROM. If yours works ok when it's on DVD+R DL, you have no real reason to change it. That said, it's the 'norm' to set it to DVDROM. Some drives do this anyway and you (the user) has no choice in the matter.

Just make sure you're on the latest firmware for the drive so you get the best burns from it.

ImgBurn doesn't NEED the MDS file to get the layerbreak position right.

So long as the image is correct, it will parse the IFO files and find where it should put it.

That's the major difference.

It adds a bit more info to the log for people that like to know exactly what's happening, stops you from doing some silly things and of course you can now view the burn speeds in a nice graph using DVDInfoPro.

Other than that, I don't know of any way to improve upon what DVD Decrypter already did!

Put it this way, there is certainly no reason NOT to use ImgBurn over DVD Decrypter for burning suttf.

Lightning UK

Many thanks for your reply and for making a great program such as DVD D, and now Imgburn.

So, from now, will I not need to select the .mds file in Imgburn to burn any previously saved images of films on my HDD from/via DVD Decrypter?

Should I just select the .iso file and then let Imgburn do its job?

Or shall I select the .mds file and then let Imgburn carry on from there?

How will I know as for which disc I should set the booktype to DVD-ROM, or leave it as +R DL - how do I choose?

Please let me know.

Regards

Edited by happy37

No, stick with the MDS file if you have one.

I'm just saying that ImgBurn CAN calculate the layerbreak position from the IFO files now if it needs to.

The MDS one is still the best and it saves a lot of messing around - although that's all performed by the program of course, it's no extra work for you!

No, stick with the MDS file if you have one.

I'm just saying that ImgBurn CAN calculate the layerbreak position from the IFO files now if it needs to.

The MDS one is still the best and it saves a lot of messing around - although that's all performed by the program of course, it's no extra work for you!

Thanks again yet:-

" Most older players probably prefer it to be set as DVDROM. If yours works ok when it's on DVD+R DL, you have no real reason to change it. That said, it's the 'norm' to set it to DVDROM. Some drives do this anyway and you (the user) has no choice in the matter. "

How will I know as for which disc I should set the booktype to DVD-ROM, or leave it as +R DL - how do I choose?

Please let me know.

Regards

What do you mean 'which disc' ?

It's either all of them or none of them!

If your player can play DVD+R DL with the booktype left at DVD+R DL, there is no real point in setting it to DVDROM. Unless of course you take them to somewhere that can't play them when left as DVD+R DL.

To be on the safe side, just set all of them to DVDROM.

Doing that will certainly not make them any less likely to play.

What do you mean 'which disc' ?

It's either all of them or none of them!

If your player can play DVD+R DL with the booktype left at DVD+R DL, there is no real point in setting it to DVDROM. Unless of course you take them to somewhere that can't play them when left as DVD+R DL.

To be on the safe side, just set all of them to DVDROM.

Doing that will certainly not make them any less likely to play.

Many thanks for all of the replies - I will start using the program today and will post back to let you know how things go.

BTW, I have just remembered that DVD D uses SAO (session at once) during DL burning, yet correct me if I'm wrong, the Write type for Imgburn is DAO only?

What's the difference between the two modes, and can I still burn DL discs using Imgburn?

Update

I used Imgburn last night as I switched from using DVD Decrypter to burn one of my

movies to DL media.

I used the ISO Write mode in Imgburn to burn the ISO file that was previously stored on

my hard drive from DVD Decrypter. I loaded the file in Imgburn, let the program

do its thing, came back to the PC having shut down as I had set it to do so in the settings...

I re-loaded the burnt disc in my DVD-ROM drive and it ran perfectly...

One thing I did notice is that Imgburn took up to a minue and a half to set the Layer 0

capacity on the disc, and only after that did it fill the buffers and start writing.

Has anyone else noticed this - is it dependent on the disc that is being burnt, does it usually

take this long and can it be reduced, or shall it just be left to do its thing?

Any replies and comments welcome...

Regards

Edited by happy37

SAO -> DAO was just a name change, nothing more.

The correct term for DVD burning is DAO.

Setting the L0 capacity is down to your drive. If it's taking a while, it probably doesn't like the discs much. ImgBurn just sends 1 command to the drive, that is all.

Make sure you only use Verbatim DVD+R DL media.

SAO -> DAO was just a name change, nothing more.

The correct term for DVD burning is DAO.

Setting the L0 capacity is down to your drive. If it's taking a while, it probably doesn't like the discs much. ImgBurn just sends 1 command to the drive, that is all.

Make sure you only use Verbatim DVD+R DL media.

Lightning UK

Thanks for your prompt response.

I do only use Verbatim DVD+R DL media, the 2,4 times speed rated discs.

Could that have been a one-off for that particular disc?

I would appreciate any reposnse.

BTW - have you got any other updates in the near future for Imgburn and how would we know about the release?

Regards

Yes maybe it was a one-off.

I guess it does depend on how the drive handles the command though.

Maybe when you move the layer break position your drive is actually filling the gap (burning) between the old one and the new one.

It's totally down the the manufacturer and the firmware really.

Leave the 'check for updates' enabled in the program and it'll tell you when a new one is released - assuming you actually run ImgBurn from time to time! Also, you can check the website. Version 1.2.0.0 is right around the corner.

Yes maybe it was a one-off.

I guess it does depend on how the drive handles the command though.

Maybe when you move the layer break position your drive is actually filling the gap (burning) between the old one and the new one.

It's totally down the the manufacturer and the firmware really.

Leave the 'check for updates' enabled in the program and it'll tell you when a new one is released - assuming you actually run ImgBurn from time to time! Also, you can check the website. Version 1.2.0.0 is right around the corner.

Thanks again - rest assured, I will be running Imgburn now from time time to do all my DL burns and I'll also check the website here from my work PC for updates as I do not have Internet access at home any more.

Regards - please keep up the good work and all the best for this program and all your future work efforts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.