'Write Type' Question

samtroy

Hello guys.

I just found out (by looking in the settings) that I've used the 'Incremental" write type setting for weeks now. I was quite shocked, because of course I know that the DAO mode is/should be the one to choose (I have a Samsung DVD-Burner). I really don't know how this happened... :mellow:

My question: Is there ANY difference between an incremental-burned DVD compared to the same DVD burned in SAO-mode?? Do I have any disadvantages/problems now (readability-wise maybe)? Should I reburn all my recently burned discs in SAO-mode??

Thanks in advance,

S.

Only you can answer that question. Test the discs... scan them... do they look ok?

There's no reason for the burns to be any less readable but you'd need to talk to the drive manufacturers / firmware programmers to find out the real difference, I have no idea!

OK, I see... Thanks for the fast answer, LIGHTNING_UK!. :thumbup:

So far I had no problems whit those discs... :unsure:

Would "incremental" be used for DVD-Video anyway?? Or only for DVD data discs?

Maybe forum members with a Samsung 183-Burner have made observations regarding this matter. I'd really appreciate if you guys would share your experiences..

Thanks,

S.

Edited by samtroy

I tested to burn some DVD Video discs in Incremental mode for some weeks ago. Curious if it would play or not. It would.

From my 'good to have' archive:

Disk-at-once is the one claimed to guarantee full compatibility with DVD-ROM/-Video.

As for Incremental strategy DVD-ROM/-Video compatibility is provided at single packet/extent "level." If it's burns the whole filesystem image as a single extent, so that you have all the rights to expect it to come out as compatible as DAO recorded. So if it's not burned as multiple sessions - it will work.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
Disk-at-once is the one claimed to guarantee full compatibility with DVD-ROM/-Video.

As for Incremental strategy DVD-ROM/-Video compatibility is provided at single packet/extent "level." If it's burns the whole filesystem image as a single extent, so that you have all the rights to expect it to come out as compatible as DAO recorded. So if it's not burned as multiple sessions - it will work.

:)

I had some problems (the Video jerks and has misfires) only with 2 DVD-Players (Tevion DVD-3000 and a YAMAHA S 530) and LIGHTNING UK! gave me the very good info to use the 'Incremental' - mode.

Now I found some infos about this problem:

Mt. Fuji Commands for Multimedia Devices Version 6 (INCITS T10 / 06-155R0 / Revision 1.01) informs:

"4.16.5 DVD-Video compatibility issues

To record DVD-VIDEO format on DVD-R media, disc-at-once recording is compatible; compatibility is limited in incremental mode (each file shall be recorded as one “packet”)."

see: http://www.t10.org/ftp/t10/document.06/06-155r0.pdf Page 129

And I read that the Burning-software "K3b" (Linux) switch the default to an "incremental sequential writing mode when copying a DVD to a DVD-R".

Whatever is an "incremental sequential writing mode?

Is it the same as the ImgBurn - 'incremental' - mode ?

If I use the ImgBurn-incremental mode burn ImgBurn "each file as one packet"?

Stefan

Edited by EDV-TIPP

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.