Imgburn hangs

bluesnow

Why does this keep happening? I read a few days ago (but can't find it again) that it has to do with whether there's a disc in the drive or not. I've tried it both ways. It hangs every time there's a disc in and almost everytime the drive is empty. When it works, it works great but most of the time I can't get it past a click on the folder icon.

I have an LG 4120B and a Pioneer GVR 111D and am running Win XP SP2. I have no other burning software running and no AnyDVD.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess it's build mode, the default after installing. No, no networks.

If it's a simple API call to bring up standard dialogue boxes, and it's a Windows problem then why doesn't Nero, Roxio, Decrypter or Intervideo hang?

The default after installing is Ez-Mode Picker.

So which button are you clicking exactly?

Going with Build mode, is it one in the 'Source' box or the 'Destination' box?

If in the 'Source' box, is it the 'Browse for a file' one or the 'Browse for a folder' one?

Sorry . . . I've just started to use this program so I'm not that familiar with it. From EZ Mode picker I click on "Write Files/Folders to Disc". This takes me into "Build Mode". From here I click on "Brouse for a folder . . .". I then get an hour glass that doesn't go away. This happens with or without a disc in a drive (I read in another post that it makes a difference). I can never get past this point with a disc. I can get past this point only sometimes without a disc.

Does it work to press the 'Open mode308.png file' button?

Good thinking . . . it doesn't seem to. I just now opened ImgBurn and clicked on brouse for folder 5 times in a row and it hung each time. I had to use Task Manager to close it. The 6th, 7th and 8th time it worked OK.

I then tried brouse for file and it worked, brouse for folder and it hung. I was able to repeat this sequence 3 more times times.

If you click on the drop down arrow of the combobox in the 'Source' box, what do you have listed?

Are all the folders/files in that list accessible? (Assuming there are any of course)

It's unlikely you'd see the OS's folder browse box in many programs, it would have shown up in DVD Dec if you clicked browse when in File or IFO modes though.

The drop down box shows all the folders I've been able to burn so far and those that still exist are accessible.

Intervideo shows the OS's brouse folder as does Decrypter. I haven't really used Decrypter much since it's support disappeared, but it did work great.

In the settings

Main Menu -> Tools -> Settings and then tab 'Build', there is an option in the lower left corner 'Clear Source MRU List'. Press that one and see if that solves the loading issue.

OK I cleared the list and brouse for folder worked. I closed ImgBurn, reopened it and it worked again. I did this four times but never selected a folder so the list remained empty. On the fifth try it hung. I used Task Manager to close it, then reopened it and checked the list. It was still empty.

Well 4 out of 5, at least an improvement... :P

Do you only have one hard disk installed that you select stuff from or several?

How long to you wait for it when it 'hung' before you killed it? I had once an XP computer that could take several time when it tried to find stuff that once had been on the hard disk but was now gone, but still was in some odd MRU pointer.

I have 3 hard drives but only burn from one where all my movies are stored. It is a 320 gig Sata but it's not my boot drive.

Now the plot thickens . . . setting the default destination under settings/read to custom and clicking on that folder icon seems to produce no issues. I did this several times successfully (closing ImgBurn each time) so then I tried the brouse for folder back on the Build mode screen and it hung (still nothing in the list). Here's the good part . . . when I opened Task Manager to close the program I noticed multiple instances of ImgBurn running, 15 to be exact.

I just tried waiting 120 seconds but the hour glass continued to live on.

I just cleared each instance of ImgBurn using Task Manager (without rebooting). I then restarted ImgBurn and clicked on the brouse for folder icon. It worked fine so I closed the program normally. When I checked in Task Manager again, it was still there.

I downloaded it from one of the mirror sites from a link on the ImgBurn main site, I don't remember which one though. I started with 2.4.0.0 (which also hung). Last week it informed me that a new version was available so I updated to 2.4.1.0 through that dialogue box

I use F-Secure and it scans automatically every Friday, that was just 4 days ago. No virus's or malware found.

Sorry I took so long to answer, it was bed time here.

I will uninstall and re-download 2.4.1.0 and reinstall it right now.

Uninstalled and reinstalled. Interestingly enough it doesn't seem to hang now.

I noticed the previous copy of the install program was 1906Kb and the copy I just downloaded (from mirror 7) was 1894KB (both 2.4.1.0). After the install it asked to check for updates so I clicked on Yes. F-Secure warned me that ImgBurn was attempting to connect to the internet so I clicked on Allow, it then warned me that the application had changed. Perhaps this is normal?

I still get another new instance of ImgBurn.exe in Task Manager every time I run it. I have to remove these manually.

If you open ImgBurn, do NOTHING and then close it again does it stay in taskmanager?

I wonder if that might be an A/V or spyware detection type program keeping it open?

It's certainly not anything I've ever seen and I open/close the program about 100 times a day!

If I open it and do nothing, then close it, it does not stay in TM. It also does not stay if I go to the build screen then close it, nor if I select brouse for file then close it.

It does stay if I select brouse for folder from the build screen and if I go to Tools/Read and select Custom default read location/brouse for folder. In both cases I don't actually have to select a location, just open the brouse window and then cancel it.

The above remains the all same with F-Secure totally unloaded.

I still have nothing in the MRU list as I haven't burned anything since clearing it.

I don't know what you're refering to there. I have Win XP SP2 and all MS updates, and stand alone programs installed. I don't have any windows ad-ons or accelerators or customization utilities etc.

Whatever it is, it affects only ImgBurn and Decrypter, and for our purposes here they're both the same thing really. No other program I have continues to reside in memory after it's closed.

I'll have the entire beta team do the same test...

Load the program, go into build mode, click the 'Browse for a folder' button, click cancel, close the program and then check task manager to see if it's still running.

It certainly doesn't stay in memory for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.