Device Not Ready (Cannot Read Medium - Incompatible Format)

Kenuru

I don't even know where to begin. I'm so lost trying to figure out how to get to the actual burning process.

Bought a 3-pack of HP DVD+R DL discs, completely unaware that Verbatim is the way to go. However, I doubt that's actually the problem since other users can actually try writing to their HP discs (and wind up with coasters), whereas mine can't even begin to write due to a "Device Not Ready (Cannot Read Medium - Incompatible Format)" error. I've searched through the guides area, read the FAQ, and searched all around the rest of the site and Google, but I haven't found an answer as to how to get past the "Device Not Ready (Cannot Read Medium - Incompatible Format)" thing.

Since my program can't begin to write, the log doesn't show much:

I 00:26:17 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 00:26:17 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 00:26:17 Total Physical Memory: 523,756 KB - Available: 223,044 KB

I 00:26:17 Initialising SPTI...

I 00:26:17 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 00:26:17 Found 1 DVD

Edited by Kenuru

Ignoring the fact that you downloaded it and therefore pirated it (amazing that I can ignore it while talking about it, isn't it?), you need an MDS file and to set a layer break. As well, you need to set your filesystem to include UDF since, as the message says, the file is too big for an ISO9660 filesystem alone.

Do a search on this - there's dozens of threads about them.

Regards

You've already got an image there, why aren't you following the 'how to burn an image' guide?!

I did follow the guide, but it didn't address this specific problem. Can't begin the writing process when the device believes it's not ready.

Ignoring the fact that you downloaded it and therefore pirated it (amazing that I can ignore it while talking about it, isn't it?), you need an MDS file and to set a layer break. As well, you need to set your filesystem to include UDF since, as the message says, the file is too big for an ISO9660 filesystem alone.

Do a search on this - there's dozens of threads about them.

Regards

I know about the layer break, by changing the settings to 'User Specified' and inputting 2084960, but the device won't accept DL discs as it would a regular. Hopefully the MDS file and UDF inclusion is it. Thanks very much. I'll try and search into it, though I doubt they'd go into detail and explain what each thing means.

Haha, and I appreciate for your interesting powers of ignoring. I should really work on my tactlessness...

Edited by Kenuru

DO NOT use Build mode to burn the image, it's for something totally different.

You need Write mode and you also need to get discs that your drive supports properly.

I dabbled with Build mode when I felt I had no other options. Either way, the disc isn't being read, although it detects it's there.

Okay, I just Googled for "Sony DRU-540A DL Disc", and sure enough, the first link said, "There is no DVD+R DL format logo, since the drive does not support DL burning." So my driver can detect DL discs, but it can't work with it. I assume if I got the appropriate driver, then it'll work as normal.

Thank you for your help.

The 'Device Not Ready (Cannot Read Medium - Incompatible Format)' message you're getting in the status bar shows the drive doesn't support the discs.

You're lucky your drive gives you that much of a clue, normally it'll just say 'Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)'.

You need a new drive if you want to use those discs.

Haha, and I appreciate for your interesting powers of ignoring. I should really work on my tactlessness...

It's just we don't need to know it was pirated. When posting the logs next time, you might take take that into account.

Regards

It's just we don't need to know it was pirated. When posting the logs next time, you might take take that into account.

Regards

Understood. Will keep that in mind next time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.