Miscompares burning DVD+R DL discs

edray10

I have the following problem - when I burn certain DVD+R DL images, I get consistent verification fails - the verification fails always show the device byte as being 0x00 and always seem to occur at offset 49. This only happens with certain backups and when I reburn I get exactly the same miscompares at the same exact locations. Since it always seems to show the device byte as being 0x00, I suspect that it's a problem that occurs in reading the disc, but one that does not cause a can't read error.

I did have DVD43 installed, but I tried verifying with it off and I get the same miscompares. I have a pioneer dvr-115d drive and am using Ritek DVD +R disks. This error only happens occasionally, but as I said its is repeatable with those particular images. Also, the images have a set layerbreak. Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

Please post a copy of the log so we can see all the details.

If it's doing it at certain sectors, knowing which files have been modified can help with troubleshooting.

Also, a 2nd log of you just verifying the same disc (better still, in a different drive) will help confirm offsets etc.

Please post a copy of the log so we can see all the details.

If it's doing it at certain sectors, knowing which files have been modified can help with troubleshooting.

Also, a 2nd log of you just verifying the same disc (better still, in a different drive) will help confirm offsets etc.

OK. Here's a log. I'll try to check it in another drive later -

I 20:37:29 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 20:37:29 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 20:37:29 Total Physical Memory: 3,143,756 KB - Available: 2,333,756 KB

W 20:37:29 Drive E:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

W 20:37:29 Drive F:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 20:37:29 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:37:29 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:37:30 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

I 21:23:49 Source Media Type: DVD+R DL (Book Type: DVD-ROM) (Disc ID: RITEK-D03-130) (Speeds: 2.4x)

You need better media - get some Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore.

Regards

I 21:23:49 Source Media Type: DVD+R DL (Book Type: DVD-ROM) (Disc ID: RITEK-D03-130) (Speeds: 2.4x)

You need better media - get some Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore.

Regards

I'm not sure that's it. When I burn the same image again on another Ritek disc, I get the same exact error at the same exact sector. If it was just media, wouldn't it occur at different places randomly? also, it's not that it can't read the disc, it's that it always reads a value of 0x00 at that particular sector. Also, it always happens at offset/byte 49 of the sector.

I'm not sure that's it.
:doh:

There may be other problems involved, but the largest and most eye catching as of this minute is the fact that your media is crap. Ritek media, while it was among the best a few years ago, has fallen down in quality as far as their product now stands. Do us a favor, try the Verbs and see what happens...all you can do is waste another disc...or maybe not.

I did have DVD43 installed, but I tried verifying with it off and I get the same miscompares. I have a pioneer dvr-115d drive and am using Ritek DVD +R disks. This error only happens occasionally, but as I said its is repeatable with those particular images. Also, the images have a set layerbreak. Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

1. Do you have any utilities installed that are similar to DVD43, e.g. AnyDVD? That can sometimes be a cause.

2. Did you copy the image to your hard drive with ImgBurn? I had a similar issue when I copied a non-protected DVD (a wedding video mastered on a MAC) to my hard drive and then burned it with ImgBurn. I copied to the hard drive two ways, one with ISOBuster and one with ImgBurn's Read mode. Before burning, I compared each image with the original DVD, and the one read with ISOBuster compared exactly using ImgBurn's verify mode, while the one read with ImgBurn did NOT! I verified that the MD5 values that ImgBurn was returning for the image files were accurate. I posted this as a suspected bug only to learn that while I was away from the forums for awhile, LUK had implemented code to modify some images (presumably in the structure areas and not data areas) that would make the recorded DVD read more reliably on some standalone DVD players. Apparently there are a limited number of players out there that will refuse to play some discs, and LUK was patching the read image to make it more compatible. In this case, any copy made from the image read by ImgBurn would never compare with the original DVD. I don't have any of those DVD players that have an issue, apparently, so I burned the image read by ISOBuster instead...

Anyway, number 2 is a possibility if you used ImgBurn to read the original DVD.

Edited by fordman

This is an xbox360 image by the looks of it.

Number 1 shouldn't apply (uninstalling said software would confirm, combined with testing in different drives/machines) and it's definitely not anything to do with number 2 (it's was removed in 2.4.1.0).

This is an xbox360 image by the looks of it.

Number 1 shouldn't apply (uninstalling said software would confirm, combined with testing in different drives/machines) and it's definitely not anything to do with number 2 (it's was removed in 2.4.1.0).

I'm curious: why did you remove the "fix" in the latest version? I'm glad it's gone, but you seemed to feel pretty strongly about it. Was it causing unintended effects?

I'm after logs from verifying in a different drive.

One from a different PC would be good too!

I copied the image to a laptop and ran a verify with imageburn against the same disc on the laptop. It came up with no errors.

Here's the log -

I 22:58:41 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 22:58:41 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 22:58:41 Total Physical Memory: 1,538,480 KB - Available: 758,168 KB

I 22:58:41 Initialising SPTI...

I 22:58:41 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:58:41 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW!

I 22:59:24 Operation Started!

I 22:59:24 Source Device: [1:0:0] SONY CD-RW CRX830E JPK4 (D:) (ATA)

I 22:59:24 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM (Book Type: DVD-ROM)

I 22:59:24 Image File: F:\temp\IMAGE.dvd

I 22:59:24 Image File Sectors: 3,697,696 (MODE1/2048)

I 22:59:24 Image File Size: 7,572,881,408 bytes

I 22:59:24 Image File Volume Identifier: XBOX360

I 22:59:24 Image File Volume Set Identifier: 33479a57

I 22:59:24 Image File Implementation Identifier: Daikin U.S. Comtec Lab

I 22:59:24 Image File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 22:59:24 Read Speed (Data/Audio): MAX / MAX

I 22:59:24 Verifying Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 3697695)

I 22:59:24 Verifying Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 3697695)

I 23:21:13 Exporting Graph Data...

I 23:21:13 Graph Data File: C:\Documents and Settings\Eddie\Application Data\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\SONY_CD-RW_CRX830E_JPK4_MONDAY-APRIL-21-2008_10-59_PM_N-A.ibg

I 23:21:13 Export Successfully Completed!

I 23:21:13 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:21:48

I 23:21:13 Average Verify Rate: 5,653 KB/s (4.1x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 8,008 KB/s (5.8x)

I did have DVD-43 installed, but I turned it off. Also, I have Alcohol installed (although it wasn't running but it has a resident virtual drive). I burned the same image again on the same system and I got the same error in the same location. Also I'm using CA anti-virus and security applications. The error always comes up at offset 49 of a sector and always reads the value of the disc as 0x00 - it never gets a can't read error. Also, it only seems to happens on DVD+R DL discs (never on single layer discs). I was using a patched Pioneer firmware to be able to use bitsetting on single layer discs, but I reflashed the drive with the original firmware before I burned the image again and I got the same error at the same spot.

As there was no error on the same disc when it was verified by the laptop, it appears to be a problem reading the disc which always occurs at byte 49 of a sector, but only happens intermittently. Could an anti-virus program do this?

Thank you all for your advice.

You really should try taking the other low level software totally off - even if it's just a temporary measure.

It's unlikely that your AV would work at the level required for modifying the data read by ImgBurn.

Actually it would probably help here if you could post a copy of your filter driver load order list.

Look in the 'Tools' menu. Copy it to the clipboard and then just 'paste' it in a reply.

You really should try taking the other low level software totally off - even if it's just a temporary measure.

It's unlikely that your AV would work at the level required for modifying the data read by ImgBurn.

Actually it would probably help here if you could post a copy of your filter driver load order list.

Look in the 'Tools' menu. Copy it to the clipboard and then just 'paste' it in a reply.

OK. Here it is -

===============================================

Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.4.1.0

===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook

Upper Class Filter: [None Found]

Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device

Lower Class Filter: ElbyCDFL

Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20

Lower Class Filter: dvd43llh

Lower Class Filter: ElbyDelay

Lower Device Filter: [None Found]

Filter Name: redbook

File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

Product Name: Microsoft

Yeah so uninstall DVD43, reboot and then check the driver isn't still listed in the filter drivers list. If it is, delete it via that same window and then reboot again.

Is you version of Alcohol up-to-date?

What version of the SPTD driver is it running? 1.56?

Yeah so uninstall DVD43, reboot and then check the driver isn't still listed in the filter drivers list. If it is, delete it via that same window and then reboot again.

Is you version of Alcohol up-to-date?

What version of the SPTD driver is it running? 1.56?

OK. Thanks. I'll remove dvd43. What is this pxhelp20 file? It seems to be some kind of legacy Sonic driver (my system came with sonic pre-installed, which I deleted - so this may be a few years old - I also installed winamp so it could be from there). Could this be the problem?

What is this pxhelp20 file? It seems to be some kind of legacy Sonic driver (my system came with sonic pre-installed, which I deleted - so this may be a few years old - I also installed winamp so it could be from there).

Both Sonic and Winamp (probably Pro) includes the Px engine. It does stick-around even after un-installing these, but I have been successful eradicating it by finding & deleting the px* entries in /windows/system32 and /drivers directories as well as registry entries.

Don't know if it causes any problems but since I ditched Sonic and Winamp I see no need for it to hang around. I followed this procedure substituting of course the px* files for the gear files and it worked great.

it is more than likely the dvd43 one, winamp does use sonic but I have never had any trouble with that.

It was DVD43. I uninstalled it and now everything seems to verify OK. It looks like DVD43 was interfering with the bitstream from reading discs and was causing certain bytes read from the drive to appear to be 0x00, instead of their actual read value. It always happened at offset/byte 49 of a sector. So verify failures occurring regularly at offset/byte 49 of a sector with the drive reading the value 0x00 (as opposed to a can't read error) is indicative of this problem. Also, it only seemed to happen on DVD+R DL discs.

Thank you all for your help.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.