How exactly are DL discs burned?

dbminter

I was thinking about it, and, I realized I don't know how DL discs are burned. :)

For instance, thinking about old DVD. Is DVD+R DL written from the inside out. Or inside out then outside in for the 2nd layer? Or inside out for the first layer and then reset to inside and write the 2nd layer inside out, too? Or is to burn each layer at each sector? Meaning, burn a sector at Layer 0's sector first then 1's, or 1's then 0's, if you're only doing one pass? The way I see it is since you're writing instead of reading, changing the laser intensity doesn't do any good unless you do it the opposite way around. Otherwise, how do you prevent burning up the data you've already written? So, it seems that what has to be done is for each sector, both layers are burned in the same "pass," first one and then the other, with Layer 1 first so that the laser intensity can be reduced and burn Layer 0 without burning through and to, thus damaging the data already burned to Layer 1.

So, LUK, or anyone else :D how's it done? :albert:

I'd always assumed each layer was burnt in a separate pass, from admittedly skimming threads on the matter, and the fact that people who had their burns error at the layer break were approx 50% through. Wouldn't even like to hazzard a guess on direction though.

Maybe we'll get LFC to do a test.

Have him burn JUST layer 1 and scan it, then burn another disc filling up both layers and scan it.

Then we'll compare the two!

I don't think I've really ever seen a DL burn where only the first layer has been burnt, I suspect most of the scan you've seen are the same chewy - therefore it's probably DL media in general that's not so good as SL media, rather than the scan being bad because the laser has damaged Layer 0 when burning Layer 1.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.