Create Layer Break Position

gonzalo76

Hello everybody !

I'm new here and this is my first post.

I read a lot of guides, tutorials, posts but I could not find the answer.

I burned a DVD+R DL Verbatim with ImgBurn 2.4.1.0 without any errors, the log was fine. (I think) But the problem was when I tried to play this DVD in my standalone DVD player Pioneer DV-373. I inserted the DVD but my Pioneer could not play it. I thought it was the "seamless" option. So I burned it again without that option activated and guess what... I made another coaster !

So, I decided to burn the DVD with another tool, ImgTool Burn 1.2.1, with the option "Use DVD-ROM Booktype" activated. It burned fine and I could play it in my DVD player Pioneer DV-373. The thing is that I heard the silence between caps and I don't like it that way because it is an audio only DVD. I made it with the discography of my favourite band. I followed this tutorial: "CDDA on DVD, aka Audio DVD-Video" at http://forum.videohelp.com/topic193049.html.

My conclusions:

1. The media is fine, because the Pioneer could read it when I burned with ImgTool Burn. (I always use Verbatim without any problems/errors)

2. The seamless option is not the problem, because the second time I burned it without that option activated, Pioneer still could not play it.

3. DVD-ROM Booktype activated? I don't know if this is the solution. Anyway, I can't activate that option in ImgBurn because I have an ASUS DRW-1608P3S firmware 1.24. That device is not supported in the "Change Book Type" option.

4. Maybe the problem is when I create the layer break position ? I read a lot about it, but I still can't figure out where to put the break position. I know about the colour of the stars and a green star (which means excellent) is the best option to put the break but I don't know.

This is another screen from another project. Not the one with the problem.

I choose to put the break in a track menu. I mean, the menu of a CD title.

Is the one I choose correct or not. May I put the break in another "excellent" place ?

Why is it correct... or... why it is not correct.

Sorry, I would like to understand this option a bit more.

What happened if I choose a wrong break ?

CreateLayerBreakPosition.png

Any help would be highly appreciated. :thumbup:

All the best,

Gonzalo

LOG:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 - Log

; Lunes, 05 Mayo 2008, 22:31:35

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 20:35:25 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 20:35:25 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 20:35:25 Total Physical Memory: 523.056 KB - Available: 332.572 KB

I 20:35:26 Initialising ASPI...

I 20:35:26 WNASPI32.DLL - Adaptec's ASPI Layer - ASPI for Win32 DLL - Version 4.71.2.0

I 20:35:26 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:35:26 Found 1 DVD

Edited by gonzalo76

You can put the LB anywhere. I'd use the one at VTS_05_0.IFO (1766882) - it has the advantage of having the whole of a VTS on one layer as well as being 50/50.

You may have just got a couple of bad discs. Where were they made? Singapore or India? Check your packaging - the Singaporean ones are superior to the Indian made ones. And do your burned discs play in any other player? For example, your computer?

Regards

You can put the LB anywhere. I'd use the one at VTS_05_0.IFO (1766882) - it has the advantage of havng the whole of a VTS on one layer as well as being 50/50.

You may have just got a couple of bad discs. Where were they made? Singapore or India? Check your packaging - the Singaporean ones are superior to the Indian made ones. And do your burned discs play in any other player? For example, your computer?

Regards

Thank you kindly blutach for your reply.

The burned disc played well in my computer, but not in my standalone DVD player.

Anyway, I could finally play the new DVD+R DL (Verbatim) in my standalone DVD player Pioneer following your suggestions of adding the layer break in VTS_05_0.IFO (1766882) !

I still don't understand why I had luck this time. :unsure:

May I ask you (or anybody) a couple of questions please?

SPLIP=yes means the playback will be seamless across the layer break (no pause). This is good.

So, we don't have to tick seamless on our DL burns ? And we have to choose this one to create the break?

SLIP=no means the playback will not be seamless across the layer break (pause). That's not good.

So we have to tick seamless on our DL burns ? If you choose this one to create the break, we have to tick seamless?

SLIP=N/A If there's an .IFO with an "excellent" legent, should I always put the break on that ?

What does it mean "being 50/50" ?

All the best,

Gonzalo

:thumbup:

PS: This is the project that it failed to play on DVD Player, will you put the break in the same place like me ?

CreatLayerBreakPosition2.png

Edited by gonzalo76

You've summed it up right. But there is no requirement to tick seamless - it's up to you. If your players support it, go ahead and tick seamless layer break.

50/50 means (roughly) equal data on each layer, leaving a bit at the edge unburned (this is where errors mostly occur).

And yeah, that's exactly where I'd break.

Regards

You've summed it up right. But there is no requirement to tick seamless - it's up to you. If your players support it, go ahead and tick seamless layer break.

50/50 means (roughly) equal data on each layer, leaving a bit at the edge unburned (this is where errors mostly occur).

And yeah, that's exactly where I'd break.

Regards

Second project was burned fine and I could also play it in my DVD player too !

Thank you very much for your help and your explanations !

Greetings from Argentina,

Gonzalo

:thumbup:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.