C2 Pointers

Pain_Man

First question:

Can ImgBurn read C2 errors on Redbook CDs?

Second question:

Can it correct them if they are present? Or, if you rip a CDDA with them, will it simply copy them to the image file?

Yes, I checked every tab on the Settings window and could find no reference to audio error checking.

Third question:

If it can detect C2 errors from real drives can it do the same for virtual (e.g. created by Alcohol, if that's relevant)?

I use dbPoweramp for my disc reproduction chores. (I never play pressed CDs; I copy them and play those; except for ones I've had from before I had a CD writer, my first one, Darkside of the Moon is 22 years old, as is my second Moving Pictures. As for pressed CDDAs lasting for a century, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one) Therefore they are in pristine condition and any that should become collector's items, for whatever reason, I'll be able to honestly say, "taken out of the case only once".

I could use EAC but that's such a monster pain in the ass to set up that its slightly higher quality of rips hardly makes up for the hassle (also, it does NOT support CD-Text, how useless is that?!)

Anyway, I'm trying to cut down on the time it takes to rip pressed CDs for a back up copy. (Note: making personal back up copies, to whatever medium, is explicitly legal in the US, if it's not in the UK, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to violate any laws. :unsure: )

If I let dbP read from the physical disc it can take over 30 mins to read a disc and correct any errors in encounters (and I have an E6700 Core Duo 2 2.7GHz processor, 4GB ram, 1024MB FSB, and a Plextor 760A, plus SATA hdds (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) ).

I figure if I can rip a given disk to hdd as an image and then use dbPoweramp, the process will be reduced to less five minutes (since it'll be "moving" at up to 200x as opposed to 4x to 25x).

So if I can get the question answered without having to rip umpteen discs myself, I would appreciate it. (As I said above, I treat my CDs with kid gloves so you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a truly scratch up disc--something required to calibrate dbPoweramp!).

Danke

Attached is the log from the disc I just ripped. (And yes, it is my wife's! Clay's got a great voice, but why do 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of songwriter's suck arse?!)

Clay_Aiken___On_My_Way_Here.txt

Since your CDs are in perfect condition, you can use ImgBurn's Read mode to make disc images from them and there won't be any quality loss :thumbup:

C2 errors reporting and EAC's thorough audio extraction method only really help when the CD is scratched/skipping/etc.

Yeah, but I gotta be me!

Interestingly, according to Nero's InfoTool 5, my Alcohol virtual "drives" have the ability to read "c2" errors. How can a non-physical (i.e. non-existant!) disc have c2 errors?!?

You could have asked that question in 1 line mate!

ImgBurn doesn't do anything with c2 pointers.

It's not in the same league as EAC for accurate ripping.

Edited by Pain_Man

Yeah, but it's one of the many reasons y'all know and love me. B)

You could have asked that question in 1 line mate!

And with a signature that doesn't take up a full page. :D

Regards

I have found that dbPoweramp's CD Ripper (or even Easy CDDA Extractor's "Analyze & Repair" mode) is an excellent way to find out if a pressed disc has any c2 errors, et al.

You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't?) how many brand-spanking new CDs, just out of the shrink wrap, have C2 errors.

At least half. (That's not scientific, of course, just based on my own experience.)

Interestingly, 3 of the 4 discs from the BIG ZEP BOXED SET, which I've owned for 10 years, had no errors at all; this despite D1 & D2 having quite a large number of scratches. Only the second disc had two tracks with a few frames that had to be re-ripped.

Apparently, there's no automatically connection between the apparent physical condition of the disc and its data's integrity.

(Not that I understand why audio data has "frames" and I'm sure the explanation is probably far longer than even my signature box, or, page, blu rather accurately terms it. I'll cut it down. I promise.)

Not talking "critical" errors that result in degraded sound quality or the prevent copying. Nay-the-less they are there. And I've checked this with both of the above named apps. (Again, I don't use EAC because setting it up is like my first marriage: an extremely frustrating waste of time, only without the awesome sex. Hey, they call whores whores for reason, after all. :thumbup: )

Since your CDs are in perfect condition, you can use ImgBurn's Read mode to make disc images from them and there won't be any quality loss :thumbup:

C2 errors reporting and EAC's thorough audio extraction method only really help when the CD is scratched/skipping/etc.

n

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.