Creating Double Layer ISOs with ImgBurn

TonyY

Hi There - I just got a quick question.........When I use ImgBurn to create Dual Layer ISOs (Both +R & -R) I get different results with the Layer Break.

For example when I use ImgBurn to create a DVD+R Dual Layer ISO from a decrypted VIDEO_TS Source I get good usable Layer Breaks (as stated by ImgBurn).

But when I use ImgBurn to create a DVD-R DL ISO from the same decrypted VIDEO_TS Source I get no usable Layer Breaks (as stated by ImgBurn)?

Can someone tell me why this is so? I use the same program (ImgBurn) and the same decrypted VIDEO_TS source but get different results depending on the type of Dual Layer Image file i am creating. This doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks

The position of the layerbreak is changeable on the DVD+R DL standard, while on the DVD-R DL standard it's always at the same position. This is a limitation of the DVD-R DL standard.

thanks mmalves

so even if i create a dvd-r dl iso with imgburn the layer break will be non existent even though it prompts me to select one (usually good or excellent) during the build phase?

btw that is a nice pic - is that someone you know and can i have her phone number! hehehe

When you're building, ImgBurn, by default, assumes that you're building an image to burn to a DVD+R DL disc. When you save the image, the MDS file contains the layerbreak information.

If you burn that image to a DVD-R DL disc, the layerbreak information will be ignored since it can't be changed on that type of disc (probably an error message will be shown telling you this and/or asking what you want to do).

thanks again mmalves

you are right when you say that the default profile for double layer isos in imgburn build mode is +r - but you can change it to -r if you wish to

check out the attachment

i still cannot understand why this is the case with no usable layers on a -r dl image?

post-12291-1211342704_thumb.jpg

As you can see, on DVD-R DL the layerbreak is always at 2,092,896 sectors and can't be changed, so, unless the source DVD-Video content is authored to be "splitable" exactly at that point, it's very unlikely that ImgBurn will find a "splitable" cell exactly at that position while also obeying the other rules of the DVD-Video standard for dual-layer discs.

You really shouldn't use -R DL disks. Because of this layerbreak problem, they are not good for storring DVD video data. They are only good for plain data. Stick to Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore.

Regards

I get all my media from www.pcx.com.au. They are real good people.

For mine, I couldn't care less if they are printable. You can't read them while they are in the case or the player anyway. Playback performance is what I am looking for, not pretty prints.

Regards

If you're using Build mode and burning to DVD-R DL they're not quite so bad. (Using them in Write mode would be worse unless the image was built especially for them - which ImgBurn can do)

With DVD+R DL the program has a whole range of addresses it can align the cells on, with DVD-R DL it just has the one (because it's fixed).

If your players can play DVD-R DL ok and your drive produces good burns on them, you really shouldn't worry too much.

Due to the address range Vs single address thing though, you'll normally get (a lot) more 'potential LB positions' with DVD+R DL and I'm sure that quite often there won't be any available to you when using DVD-R DL... that's why DVD+R DL is the preferred format.

thanks again mmalves

you are right when you say that the default profile for double layer isos in imgburn build mode is +r - but you can change it to -r if you wish to

check out the attachment

i still cannot understand why this is the case with no usable layers on a -r dl image?

Can you tell me how to get to this screen?

Thanks

Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.