PBDS DVD+-RW DS-8W1P BD1B (ATA) Help Setting Book Type

eviljubilee

I have a PBDS DVD+-RW DS-8W1P BD1B (ATA) that came with my Dell Laptop (Inspiron i1525-100B)

No matter what I do it refuses to set the book type of DVD+R media to DVD-ROM. I am currently using Memorex media, while I recognize that you guys recommend different media, I haven't had any problems with them yet. I have no problems with setting the book type properly on my desktop. (Laptop is running Vista, Desktop is running XP.)

It's clearly a problem with the drive, likely it's firmware. I just spent several hours looking through various threads and websites, and haven't had much success. I did find out that the drive is made my BenQ, but also read somewhere that LiteOn took over BenQ's optical drive division (or something like that.)

When I try to set the book type of +R discs in the BenQ tab, I get the following error.

Unknown (FAILED!)

Reason: Invalid Command Operation Code

When I try to do the same thing under the LiteOn tab I get this error.

Unknown (FAILED!)

Reason: No Additional Sense Information

I was using DVDShrink and Nero before, and even my PS3 (which reads freaking everything) couldn't read the discs properly. I switched to DVDShrink and ImgBurn hoping to fix the problem. I burned a test disk, and the disk will now play on my PS3, but it still shows as DVD+R not DVD-ROM, so I doubt it will play on my friend's stand alone players, like the ones from my desktop do.

I'm sure you want to know why I don't just use my desktop then. Basically the drive works on it, but refuses to burn faster than 1x most of the time, and I do a high volume of burning, so that is not acceptable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Using better media really would help, as laptop burners are known for being picky about media. Do you leave Verify enabled to ensure the disc was properly burned? Another option would be trying quality DVD-R media.

On your desktop computer, proceed as this post says (deleting controllers and reboot) and check if it goes back to burning at normal speeds :)

Using better media really would help, as laptop burners are known for being picky about media. Do you leave Verify enabled to ensure the disc was properly burned? Another option would be trying quality DVD-R media.

On your desktop computer, proceed as this post says (deleting controllers and reboot) and check if it goes back to burning at normal speeds :)

The burn is 100% successful, it's just not changing the book type. In DVDShrink it was checked, but greyed out, as if the drive doesn't support it or something. Will try the above and see if that fixes the problem with the desktop, but I'd still like to find a solution to this problem as well.

That burner is in fact a Lite-On, so the Lite-On tab should work. Have you tried both 'Drive (For DVD+R Media)' and 'Drive (For DVD+R Media - EEPROM!)' options? If both options show 'No Additional Sense Information' then such commands were not implemented in the firmware, and unfortunately there's no way around it :(

The EEPROM setting doesn't work either. Are there absolutely no other options left? (Other than trying DVD-R discs) Maybe cross-flashing the firmware?

On a positive note, the above seems to have fixed whatever was wrong with my desktop. I'd tried deleting the drivers and reinstalling but it didn't have any effect. Didn't think about deleting the controller. Thank you mmalves

Cross-flashing would be an option, but not many people have that burner and I couldn't find which Lite-On model it is :(

You're not alone either:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/pbds-dvd-rw-d...1p-help-227442/ (last post)

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/need-help-dvd-burner-226268/

Yeah, I found that first post, but not the second. It seems Dell is using the drive in more than one model, so hopefully in the future someone with more time or determination will find a firmware that will work. Until then I guess I'm stuck with a crappy drive.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a DELL laptop with the same drive. I checked the Device Capabilities in ImgBurn, and here's what it says:

post-2746-1217101346_thumb.jpg

I see that the DVD-ROM box is grayed out. I'm assuming this confirms that this drive does not support book type setting to DVD-ROM.

I see that the DVD-ROM box is grayed out. I'm assuming this confirms that this drive does not support book type setting to DVD-ROM.

The boxes for DVD-ROM, HD DVD-ROM and BD-ROM formats under Write Capabilities are always grayed out because those formats can only be made by pressing the discs at a special facility (i.e. you can't "burn" them) :)

As for booktyping with your burner, have you tried the options under the BenQ and Lite-On tabs of ImgBurn's Book Type dialog? If you did and none worked then your drive doesn't support booktyping.

Thanks for clarifying that, mmalves. That makes sense since the same thing happens on my desktop. The only difference is that I have a BenQ drive on that PC, which I can change the booktype on.

As far as using the booktype setting dialogue box, I got the same error messages as eviljubilee.

Edited by Flawless115

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.