ImgBurn Coasting DVD+R's ???

MadGabZ

Just coasted 4 (four!!!) dvd+r's on burning a movie DVD backup!

First 2 millimeter of cd has been written (looking from inner to outer edge!), the rest looks untouched! Tried reboots, and different speeds, to no avail. MagicISO burned the image perfectly!

Seems like a perculiar ImgBurn-problem, or the way, the 'burning_codecs' are used...

What's wrong?

Here's the last log entry from ImgBurn:

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 - Log

; torsdag, 05 juni 2008, 09:34:31

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 09:26:20 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 09:26:20 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 09:26:20 Total Physical Memory: 3.406.896 KB - Available: 2.750.912 KB

I 09:26:20 Initialising SPTI...

I 09:26:20 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 09:26:20 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

hmmm... upon further inspection, it seems the first and fourth burn actually is OK, only verification went bonkers. Seems, 2nd and 3rd burn coasted, though the system finds the disc empty and rdy to be burned as new discs. So, ImgBurn really behaving weird here....

Any suggestions to why?

I REALLY love ImgBurn, but the instability (at least for me!) makes me not wanting to keep using the app for backups anymore! Really, thats a shame...

hmmm... upon further inspection, it seems the first and fourth burn actually is OK, only verification went bonkers. Seems, 2nd and 3rd burn coasted, though the system finds the disc empty and rdy to be burned as new discs. So, ImgBurn really behaving weird here....

Any suggestions to why?

I REALLY love ImgBurn, but the instability (at least for me!) makes me not wanting to keep using the app for backups anymore! Really, thats a shame...

This software (or any other software) has no control over the quality of your burn. Bad burns are ALWAYS the fault of the hardware. Imgburn tells your drive what to do. From then it's up to your drive, your firmware and your media to do the job properly. Slow the burn down to 8x and see what happens.

Before the burn...

I 09:27:28 Destination Device: [3:0:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SH-16A7S WS04 (F:) (ATA)

I 09:27:28 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: MCC-004-00) (Speeds: 2,4x; 4x; 6x; 8x; 12x; 16x)

After the burn...

I 09:34:25 Source Device: [3:0:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SH-16A7S WS04 (F:) (ATA)

I 09:34:25 Source Media Type: DVD+RW (Book Type: DVD-ROM) (Disc ID: MCC-004-00) (Speeds: 4x)

I've seen this with liteon drives a few times now but have no idea why it happens.

It doesn't appear to initialise the disc properly and I bet that's part of the reason why the verify then fails.

Turn off the DVD+R Reserve Track option in the settings and then try again.

Thanks a bunch for the quick replies, im not used to that, guys! :D

Im not sure about how to rinse the optics, but would pressured air on a can do the trick? I don't want to open up the drive unless its absolutely neccessary...

OK, I'll try the reserved track option....

Thansk again, lads! :D

/MadGabZ

cd lens cleaning CD with 2 brushes one wet other dry and they usually come with Isopropyl alcohol.

LUK has pointed out to you that the drive you have is a weird one with some issues so by all means clean lens but maybe look to seeing if there is anything you have installed like daemon tools/sptd, alcohol120, anydvd/ dvd43 etc that is messing with drive.

This software (or any other software) has no control over the quality of your burn. Bad burns are ALWAYS the fault of the hardware. Imgburn tells your drive what to do. From then it's up to your drive, your firmware and your media to do the job properly. Slow the burn down to 8x and see what happens.

Shamus, as much as I love ya, I have to disagree with the 2nd sentence (by itself). Unless I am totally missing something, if one were to start out with bad/poor-quality media, that could result in a bad burn, and every other link in the chain (eg., hardware and software) could be A-OK.

Maybe it was a given that "barring bad media, bad burns are always the fault of the hardware...?" Or, maybe media is included in the hardware "umbrella?" Granted, at some point error correction capabilities of the hardware may play a factor, but I just want to make sure that even if we are in a different classroom, we have the same book.

:)

Edited by doxola

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.