DVDRRW GWA-4166B

kiwipops

Hi,hope that you can help with problems with my DVD burner.Came across this forum when googling my problem,saw a response to JABuyer on 31st Jan,that seemed to relate.Can play DVDS OK,but when I try to burn in other programs,they fail to start,or hang.I have probably created this myself cos this is what previously happened

Tried to install plugin into Microsoft Digital Imaging Suite,would not work,so on advice of Sonic/Roxio helpdesk,I updated the drivers,the PX engine,and also attempted to update the firmware,the latter from the HP site,I am not a complete newbie,but found that completely confusing.The result was that the burner,previously fine,will not work at all.I tried reinstalling the burner,and application recovery for the Sonic programs.Tried new branded media,the properties on the drive show it as full.

ImgBurn shows an I/O error,various sectors/numbers,and the interpretation"Invalid Field in CDB"

The log is

//****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 - Log

; Tuesday, 24 June 2008, 16:04:32

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 15:48:19 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 15:48:19 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 15:48:19 Total Physical Memory: 523,568 KB - Available: 97,968 KB

W 15:48:19 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 15:48:24 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:48:24 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:48:24 Found 1 DVD

ImgBurn.log

You're attempting to burn 12gb onto a 4.37gb disc.

I realize that,that is not the problem,the program also pointed it out to me,and gave me the option of continuing,I just wanted to get a log

But I did it again,with just a few files

Here is the log

15:33:20 ImgBurn Version 2.4.1.0 started!

I 15:33:20 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 15:33:20 Total Physical Memory: 523,568 KB - Available: 72,428 KB

W 15:33:20 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 15:33:58 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:33:58 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:33:58 Found 1 DVD

Try with better media, such as Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden blanks, and if it still errors out, bin it and get a new burner, they're pretty cheap nowadays ;)

Burner worked fine before Sonic/HP "fixes".The Sony media is supposedly high quality.This is rural New Zealand,a new burner installation would prob not be an option for me.

Any other ideas on the new log?

We can only see the same things you can.

The drive errored out during the write and said that there was some form of 'Write Error' - that's to say, it couldn't burn to the disc.

It's an old drive and the media is quite new... I'm not even sure the drive really supports it, hence the single '4x' write speed being offered.

Thank you all for your replies.Can anyone take me (step by baby step!)through the firmware update,to ensure I did it correctly?Or alternatively is there any way to reverse it(without involving HP),or to reverse any of the above mentioned "fixes" I installed(pxengine,drivers etc)As I mentioned the drive was great with any media before I started taking "advice" from Sonic/Roxio/HP.All the best from NZ

Hi...just a note to say that it WAS the firmware update causing the probs,not the update itself,but the crappy instructions from HP on how to install...it was not made clear that you need to boot from the burned iso file,after a restart,and follow the command prompts.Thanks all for your help,much appreciated!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.