which discs to use

mcspider

Taiyo Yuden +R 8X supports burning up to 16X and Verbatim +R 8X also supports up to 16x ,You wont get any better discs, with the Verbs dont get the 'White Pearl " type the dye manufacturer is memorex (crap) you want the MCC dye. These are all I use with an NEC3500 burner and not 1 bad burn so far :thumbup:

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG 2.1A (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 2,295,104

Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes

Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: MCC-004-00

Book Type: DVD+R

Part Version: 1

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG 2.1A (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 2,285,872

Size: 4,681,465,856 bytes

Time: 508:00:22 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):

Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00

Book Type: DVD+R

once you get above 4.3 gigs you're into Dual Layer (DVD9) discs that you can put 8.5 gigs worth of video on without compression . These discs are a good bit more expensive than single layer (DVD 5).If you need the D/L's then use Verbatim Dual Layer +R discs they are the only discs that give good results consistently. I only use DVD5 4.7 single layer, remove all the junk from my video, use a little compression and they play and look fine and cost about $ .40 cents each :thumbup:

mcspider

you mentioned -r in the first post , depending on your burner you may only be able to write -r and not +r.

likewise, depending on your burner, you may not be able to write dual layer discs with it anyway, so check this out before you buy any dual layer discs ( there not cheap ;) )

if your drive will only write to -r the -r taiyo yuden 8x are equally as good as the +r ones Polopony mentioned for dv5 work. they are the only ones i use .

thanks volvo yes it will write dual layer just wonderd was there a certain make or die that was better

In order of quality and consistency

SL

TYG0X's

Yuden T0X's

everything else

DL

Verbatim + format

nothing else ranks

a gross generalization!

Edited by chewy

thanks chewy i found Verbatim discs on the net but there are 3 speeds i have a 16x dual layer would you sudjest the 2.4, 4, or 8 speed discs as i know sometimes its better at a lower speed many thanks oh i have one last ? and i understand we dont talk about copy write in here and i hope this doesnt brake that rule but i made my iso and as i said its 8gb and i put it onto a dual layer disc complete i was going to reduce its size and tried to use shrink but i couldnt find the file in my folder am i right in saying shrink wont pick up iso files or have i done something wrong i understand if i am breaking a riule asking if so please just answer about the speed of discs

Edited by mcspider

hi when i make my iso file i get 2 files mds file and a winrar file the mds file is 12 kbs and you have to use that to burn why is the other file winrar i know i have winrar on my computer is it something im doing or something the computer does automatically

DVDRW IDE 16X A091 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 3,919,398

Size: 8,026,927,104 bytes

Time: 871:00:48 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-ROM

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)

Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,396,805

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,248,207

Layer Information:

Layer 0 Sectors: 2,051,600 (52.34%)

Layer 1 Sectors: 1,867,798 (47.66%)

and is the reason i cannot find it in shrink its a winrar file if so could you tell me how to stop it being a winrar file

Edited by mcspider

could save me a few dual layer discs

since i reauthor main files only and break up unusally long compilations into 2 disks and am still waiting

to see a high quality scan of a DL burn, I'll stick with SL disks(whose technology has almost matured).

also to open an ISO in shrink , FILE button >open disc image ( on sub menu)

you have ISO' s associated with winrar in winrars settings , simply go to winrar, and remove iso as a file association .

in winrar OPTIONS>SETTINGS>INTEGRATION and UNcheck the box next to ISO and Ok it

as for write speed with dual layer discs, it really depends on what speed your burner can write to D/L at .

whats the exact make and model of it, or what speed does the manual say it will wite to D/L at ?

thank you volvo the winrar is fixed and so is shrink i have one last ? about the program dvdinfo pro and ill leave you alone lol my ? is ive burn with imgburn and ive now purchased dvdinfo pro i have a graph of 2 lines one green one yellow but how do i veiw one like lightening did or better still is there a step by step tutorial for dvdinfo pro or could you explain how to use it and what to do

Edited by mcspider

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.