Which UDF version to use burn data files on DVD +R DL?

Gus

I am confused about the different UDF versions in ImgBurn. Which Files system (ISO or UDF) and version # do I use when I want to burn a 7 gig .mkv or .m2ts file to a DVD +R DL?

Regards,

Edited by Gus

It's a data disk. All versions of Windows from XP on can natively read 1.02 for sure. Some can read higher version (VISTA, I believe can read 2.50). But stick with the lowest common denominator.

Regards

It's a data disk. All versions of Windows from XP on can natively read 1.02 for sure. Some can read higher version (VISTA, I believe can read 2.50). But stick with the lowest common denominator.

Regards

I intend to play it from the PS3 console. I believer the PS3 hard drive is FAT 32.

Thanks for your help.

Use UDF 1.02 and have the Verify option enabled, as this ensures the disc was properly burnt.

By the way, you'll only be able to play those MKVs on a PS3 if you're using Linux on it, as the native media player doesn't support MKVs at all.

If you want to play them on the native media player you'll have to use mkv2vob or similar program to convert them before burning. Have look around Doom9's Forum, as there's plenty of info there about this :)

Use UDF 1.02 and have the Verify option enabled, as this ensures the disc was properly burnt.

By the way, you'll only be able to play those MKVs on a PS3 if you're using Linux on it, as the native media player doesn't support MKVs at all.

If you want to play them on the native media player you'll have to use mkv2vob or similar program to convert them before burning. Have look around Doom9's Forum, as there's plenty of info there about this :)

I have converted the mkv file to m2ts. So the plan is to play it from the DVD disc as a data file. I'm sure you already know that the PS3 hard drive only supports FAT3. So play a file greater than 4 gigs is not possible.

• 5 weeks later...
I burned the 6.7 gig 720p .m2ts video file (converted from .mkv) and the PS3 played it directly off of the DVD +R DL perfectly.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Gus, can you tell me what you did exactly to burn the m2ts file to DL Disc ?

I tried burning a 4.6G file and it won't play in the PS3. It recognizes it, but nothings happening. :(

I burned as UDF 1.02...didn't work.

I'm not sure what trick you did to get it to work. :unsure:

I burned the 6.7 gig 720p .m2ts video file (converted from .mkv) and the PS3 played it directly off of the DVD +R DL perfectly.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Gus, can you tell me what you did exactly to burn the m2ts file to DL Disc ?

I tried burning a 4.6G file and it won't play in the PS3. It recognizes it, but nothings happening. :(

I burned as UDF 1.02...didn't work.

I'm not sure what trick you did to get it to work. :unsure:

All I did was take an mkv file in x264 format and used Tsmuxer to convert it to .m2ts. At the bottom for Output, I chose 'M2TS muxing' and not 'Create Blu-ray disk'. That is all. Then I used Imgburn to burn it as a data file using UDF 1.02.

Did your 4.6Gig file fit a single layer DVD? Perhaps there was not enough space on the disk and the last part of the file was not written?

That is all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.