Issues out of the blue

nick800

I had a similar problem about 2 weeks ago. Even though I had previously been able to run UDMA mode 5 on the hard drive and 4 on the burner, they reverted to UDMA2 on both. I tried everything posted here (found a DMA link in Blutach's sig :D ), but it turned out to be my cables. I don't know if they just degenerated or I did something farting around in the case, but I replaced them with new ones I got from Newegg. The reviews on the cables were "iffy" and for some reason I had to try a couple times to get it to boot up, but my machine is now back to full throttle. You can get 5 cables for about the same cost as 2, because there is a bulk discount on both the cables and shipping, but caution- the 18" cables are a real stretch fit from the mobo to the slave connector. You can look around, because they are also available in 24" and 36".

yea I'm pretty sure the drive can only run up to ultra mode 2. I'm going to try upgrading to SP2 with it's fixes later this week when I have time. If that doesn't work I'll see about replacing the cable. I'll provide an update then, thanks for all your help.

yea I'm pretty sure the drive can only run up to ultra mode 2. I'm going to try upgrading to SP2 with it's fixes later this week when I have time. If that doesn't work I'll see about replacing the cable. I'll provide an update then, thanks for all your help.

I am sure the cable length has nothing to do with a laptop!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.