DVDs will not play in Playstation 2

Heartborne

Hello all. I recently began using DVD Flick w/ Imgburn to burn DVDs so that movies will not take up so much space on my pc. Additionally, I want to be able to watch these DVDs in standard DVD players as well as my PS2. I previously used Nero, but that is bloated and annoying.

I tried watching some DVDs I had burned using the PS2 and the system does not see them. I do not have this problem with retail DVDs or with DVDs I had burned previously using Nero Vision. Those play just fine.

Clearly I am missing something here... what kind of options and settings do I need to change?

Just to clarify, I live in the U.S. and have a U.S. Playstation 2. Is this a region setting issue? I have not tested these discs in another DVD player because I use the PS2 as a DVD player.

Even though you may be using the same brand, it's the dye used to manufacture the disc that's important, and brands may change the dye on different batches. Besides, PS2 consoles are known to be picky about the media they like, so that's why I asked about playability on a standard DVD player :)

Ah, mmalves, I am happy to report that these discs are from the very same batch. That simplifies things a bit, I hope.

Lightning UK!, when I insert the DVD nothing happens at all on the ps2 screen. When I go into the browser, however, it says "Reading disc..." indefinitely.

My PS2 gave up reading DVD films shortly before the laser died......

It was weird cos it read DVD games fine but films just never appeared as the golden disc on the menu screen. Eventually I changed the laser and it was able to read DVD films again.....

There are guides on the internet that show you how to open the PS2 and adjust the height of the laser, I believe over time they can require adjustment, I did try it on mine but it never worked.....

My bet would be that the PS2 laser is on the fritz..... You could see if it can still read CD based games as opposed to DVD-ROMS, at the end my PS2 couldn't read those either....

do ANY shop bought DVD's still play on the PS2 correctly ?

Yes, retail DVDs work just fine in my PS2 as do all DVDs I burned previously using Nero Vision, which is why I believe the software to be the cause of the issue.

I am burning one now, I will post the log as soon as it completes.

WELL the plot thickens...

I tried burning another disc today, but it wasn't too keen on the idea of being burned. That is to say, during the verify stage I got tons of errors. Now, this happens rather normally and I usually disregard it. Sometimes discs will burn without this happening at all.

Even when this does happen, the DVDs always play in VLC media player.

This disc DOES NOT play in my ps2... HOWEVER a disc I burned earlier today plays in the ps2... even though it encountered two of these same errors!

So, for those of you who like an intellectual challenge... here is the log of the disc with lots of errors that DID NOT play in the ps2...

I 20:09:50 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 20:09:50 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 20:09:50 Total Physical Memory: 2,882,012 KB - Available: 1,994,252 KB

I 20:09:50 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:09:50 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:09:50 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

I 20:16:04 Source Media Type: DVD+R (Book Type: DVD-ROM) (Disc ID: MBIPG101-R05-01) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 18x, 20x)

I 20:10:31 Write Speed: MAX

I 20:15:42 Average Write Rate: 16,273 KB/s (11.7x) - Maximum Write Rate: 22,554 KB/s (16.3x)

Here's your problem - ultra cheap media that your burner can't verify what it just wrote. Get some Taiyo Yudens or Verbatims.

And drop your write speed - 8x on that media MIGHT give you a semi-decent burn.

I 20:09:50 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

Update your ImgBurn - it's free. We are now on 2.4.2.0

I 20:10:31 Destination Device: [0:0:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J SB01 (F:) (ATA)

Check out if there is a later firmware for that drive - I suspect there is.

And I bet VLC won't play that movie about 80% of the way in. The drive can't read the disc! :)

Regards

Broken record time, but when my PS2 laser went on the fritz it was the copied DVDs that it couldn't play first, then original DVDs then at the end DVD based games....

I agree with Blu you need to try decent Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media, all of mine on this media still play on the PS2 fine (following new laser) and some were burnt years ago. I know you have seen ok results with them before but this hit and miss results really does sound like cheapo media.

Regards

Thanks for the help, it looks like lousy media is in fact the issue. I was really hoping for a simple "you have to check box x in menu y" response, but these things happen.

When testing the discs on the pc, when I jumped around the movie it seemed okay and I hope that I don't wind up with a bunch of useless discs.

In any case, I will try some Taiyo Yudens and see how that works out for me. If I still have issues I'll let you guys know.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I should have said "cheaper" rather than "easier."

In any case, you all may find it interesting to know that I decided to go ahead and finish using my spindle of memorex DVD+Rs. Odd though it may seem, even in cases in which imgburn was able to finish the burn and verify properly, it still didn't play in the ps2... so it may be an issue with my ps2, although I have every intention of getting some Taiyo Yudens and seeing if I notice a difference.

Edited by Heartborne

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.