Finalise Disc Failed! - Reason: Program Memory Area Update Failure

Sliztzan

EDIT: I have just burned a Video DVD that was greater than 4gb and it burned without a single error. Which now leads me to believe it's a software, not hardware issue. I haven't tried another application yet though.

It's not a software error: other programs don't report the error simply because they're ignoring it. If you've read the first post from this thread you would know that.

Your log shows the disc had a successful verify, so what seems to be the problem? Have you tried with the SB04 firmware? Have you tried a lens cleaning disc on that drive?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use the Discover Mode and set the number of sectors to:

I 01:04:15 Sectors: 1,924,368

and it will error on every burn you do. Add some sectors up or down, it will not error out.

You can also take your source material and run it through a program like DVD Shrink and "shrink" it by 0.01% and the error will be gone.

:)

Your log shows the disc had a successful verify, so what seems to be the problem? Have you tried with the SB04 firmware? Have you tried a lens cleaning disc on that drive?

I did read it the first post and saw that it was not a software problem but it just doesn't make sense to me. The problem is, the resulting disc is not being read by my iMac computer, which cannot read DVD+R discs. With every other DVD I've buirned (assuming it was over 4gb), it's never errored out and always set the bitsetting properly. When I put this (under 4gb) disc into my iMac, it can't even detect it, I assume because, either it's not finalized properly or it's not set to DVD-ROM (which has worked fine with every other 4gb+ disc).

And no, I haven't tried the SB04 firmware, is the problem fixed in that version? I also haven't tried a lens cleaning disc because I don't see how it could be a dirty lens if I can burn 100 dvd's OVER 4gb's without error, then get the error on a less than 4gb disc, then burn several other 4gb+ dvds right after without error again. :huh:

You can also take your source material and run it through a program like DVD Shrink and "shrink" it by 0.01% and the error will be gone.

:)

interesting... I'm going to try that. why does that work. (From my perspective) it seems like it doesn't burn DVDs that are under 4gb properly. So how does shrinking it a bit more fix the problem? I ran the DVD through DVD Shrink, but with no compression and it didn't fix the problem. Also, when you say shrink it by 0.01%, do you mean shrink all parts of the movie by 0.01% or just shrink any part (like the extras) by that percentage?

I ended up setting the following in ImgBurn:

[off] DVD+R Finalise Disc (Minimal Radius)

[off] Finalise Disc - Auto Retry

[on] Finalise Disc - Ignore Errors

I just burned another copy with those options and it still gave the error and still but my iMac was able to read it fine.

You need to "change" the source so it's something else than 1,924,368 sectors. Shrinking it or adding another VTS will give you another number. It's just certain "lucky" numbers that errors out. I doubt it's fixed in SB04. Lite-On hasn't been able to fix it even for their latest burner models. Running it through DVD Shrink and not changing the compression in full mode - will just give you a 1:1 copy with the same sector number.

When the error happens in the final burning stage - I think it also skips the book type setting command - If I remember it right. I guess that's why the Mac will not read the disc.

Edit: Yes - the book type function is never triggered after such an error.

I 01:23:06 Source Media Type: DVD+R (Book Type: DVD+R)

You need to "change" the source so it's something else than 1,924,368 sectors. Shrinking it or adding another VTS will give you another number. It's just certain "lucky" numbers that errors out. I doubt it's fixed in SB04. Lite-On hasn't been able to fix it even for their latest burner models. Running it through DVD Shrink and not changing the compression in full mode - will just give you a 1:1 copy with the same sector number.

When the error happens in the final burning stage - I think it also skips the book type setting command - If I remember it right. I guess that's why the Mac will not read the disc.

Edit: Yes - the book type function is never triggered after such an error.

I 01:23:06 Source Media Type: DVD+R (Book Type: DVD+R)

That exaplins it. Ok I'm having trouble with DVD Shrink in Windows 7 RC, so I'm going to run it thru DVDReMake an remove a couple unneeded frames and export. That should do it, right?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Samsung SH-S203N (firmware SB02) and I get this error when trying to burn data between 3.5 and 4 GB. I resolved the problem putting a high value in the "Image Minimum Size" option (build tab), like 2295100. This forces the program to fill the DVD with dummy sectors and gets rid of the finalize disk error.

It would be nice to be able to specify a different value for different type of media, so wouldn't be necessary to change the option when writing CDs or DVDRW.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.