"i/o error! request could not be performed" - would appreciate some help...

jeffpnyc

I've seen a few instances of this issue on forums and I'm in a quandry as to how to resolve it. I've read suggestsions that it could be the media - yet for me I get this message with or without loading media.

when i click "cancel" after the error message, I can then load files into IMGBurn and burn a disc.

i don't get this message using nero 8.

I prefer to use IMGBurn for most of my burning projects, with the exception of course of AVI's.

after i reboot or shut the computer off in won't get this message for a short time but then it pops up again.

i've read that perhaps updating the dvd burner's firmware would help. however, in my case, probably due to my lack of experience, I'm not exactly sure what dvd burner came installed with this new computer. the reason i say this is, if i look at the properties from IMGBurn, my device capabilities are:

Device: Atapi DVD A DH16A61 ZH19, firmware version ZH19

searching google with this info to determine what i have leads me to nothing....

anwyay here's the log file of recent activity - hopefully someone can suggest a solution - thanks alot in advance....

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Sunday, 21 September 2008, 13:05:17

; \\****************************************//

;

;

Edited by jeffpnyc

Thanks alot, I appreciate the response.

If you don't mind - I'm not very literate "under the hood" with computers, could you state step by step exactly what to do - what controller, where do I do this?

Thanks again and I'd appreciate if you'd take that extra step to help me resolve this.

It'll just be your drivers...

I 08:34:10 Destination Device: [1:1:0] ATAPI DVD A DH16A6L ZH19 (E:) (Fibre)

^^ that isn't right.

Find a new driver for your controllers or revert to an older one. You could also try going back to the standard microsoft one.

You need to find out which chipset is on your motherboard.... Intel, Nvidia etc.

Look in device manager at the ATAPI/IDE controllers branch, you might get a clue from the names of the entries under it.

Get a screenshot if that makes things any easier - and then we'll help.

You can Google for things you don't know/understand, EVERYTHING has been covered before.

You need to find out which chipset is on your motherboard.... Intel, Nvidia etc.

Look in device manager at the ATAPI/IDE controllers branch, you might get a clue from the names of the entries under it.

Get a screenshot if that makes things any easier - and then we'll help.

You can Google for things you don't know/understand, EVERYTHING has been covered before.

Thank you. In Device Manager there is no Atapi/IDE branch but under Display Adapter:

NVDIAGeForce 8200

NVDIAGeForce 9400 (GeForce 9300 GE + GeForce 8200)

You could try getting the latest nForce drivers down from the nvidia site then.

Are you actually using RAID at all on your hard drives? If not, see if it lets you skip installing that part of the driver set.

You might want to do an uninstall of the existing set before putting the new ones on.

I believe 15.23 is the latest set and they came out a week or so ago.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista64_15.23.html

You could try getting the latest nForce drivers down from the nvidia site then.

Are you actually using RAID at all on your hard drives? If not, see if it lets you skip installing that part of the driver set.

You might want to do an uninstall of the existing set before putting the new ones on.

I believe 15.23 is the latest set and they came out a week or so ago.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista64_15.23.html

Thanks - unfortunately even with the new set I'm still getting the error message - I'll play around with it some more and see if i can resolve it but I appreciate your giving me a direction.....

Jeff

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.