ImgBurn hangs PC on startup

dyno_ace

My reliable old NEC 3520 burner finally crapped out. :'( Luckily, a good friend gave me a nearly new Lightscribe Multi-recorder DVD+R DL drive that came from his HP desktop, he got a Bluray burner instead. The drive worked and burned DVD+R and DVD+R DL discs fine while in his PC using Roxio, and it reads and plays every disc I have tried since I installed it in mine.

It shows up as a HL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GSA-H60L_____R90C in my Windows XP device manager, I think it is made by LG electronics. I installed the latest Imgburn, but every time I start the program, it completely hangs my system at the "searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices" message. I have to power the system off as it is completely unresponsive, even to Ctrl-Alt-Del. It is using a standard Microsoft device driver, but I can't find a better one.

Any ideas on what I should try next? Thanks.

Please don't shoot me - I did read the FAQ. I enabled the diag info in the registry as suggested by the FAQ. I get a lot more information displayed in the window now at startup, but the PC still hangs and I have to power it off. I don't know how to post the log if it is not stored in a file before the PC becomes unresponsive. Is there a log file or any other useful information I can post to help resolve this?

You'd have to write it down using a pen and paper then I guess.

Or use a camera to get a screenshot and the post that up.

I only really need the last few line - one of which should include something about 'CDB' and the name of the drive it's going to (but if you only have 1 drive that's not so important).

You'd have to write it down using a pen and paper then I guess.

Or use a camera to get a screenshot and the post that up.

I only really need the last few line - one of which should include something about 'CDB' and the name of the drive it's going to (but if you only have 1 drive that's not so important).

Too afraid I'd screw up one of those bytes, but a photo, now that's a good idea.

As requested, it is attached, and thanks again for your support. :D

post-14386-1223001721_thumb.jpg

I thought I would update the board on what I have tried for the past few days to correct my issue with Imgburn hanging and any new information.

I installed Roxio Creator Basic v9 from my friend's CD who gave me the burner that came with his system. It burned 2 discs just fine. I don't really like Roxio though, and would prefer to return to Imgburn.

I have an MSI P35 Platinum mobo with 5 sata connections. 4 sata go to the Intel ICH9R and support three 750Gb drives in a Raid 0 set. The final fifth sata port is connected to the realtek chipset and is not available for raid use, so I connected the new burner there. The old burner was IDE.

In the meantime, I upgraded the BIOs to versiom 1.9 from 1.8, upgraded all the drivers to the latest versions, with no change. The Roxio still burns, Imgbrun still hangs my PC upon startup.

I then moved the DVD sata connector to the 4th open Intel sata port. Both Imgburn and Roxio will now start and burn DVDs, but both products fail at about 2 TB data processed. In the log file below, I requested an abort at 1:18 when the drive stopped burning and continuously resets the head and retries without further progress on the burn at about 2 TB. It took over 10 minutes to return control to Windows. The log file is shown below:

I 01:07:55 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 01:07:55 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 01:07:55 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,328 KB - Available: 1,471,776 KB

I 01:07:55 Initialising SPTI...

I 01:07:55 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 01:07:55 Found 1 DVD

I am not able to help with the hanging problem - but I would suggest that switching away from CMC MAG media will probably help the write errors you saw in the log above.

Get either Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media and see how that goes - CMC MAG is just about the worst pile of unreliable crap out there. You will get some ok burns and some that fail, those that do work probably won't last very long. :)

22:17:37 [1:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H60L R90C (D:) (ATA)

22:17:37 CDB: 5A 00 3F 00 00 00 00 08 00 00

22:17:37 CDB Interpretation: Mode Sense (10) - Page Code (0x3F) - All Mode Pages

I guess if Roxio issued that exact command then it would also hang.

Obviously it's not a command that *should* get stuck (or ImgBurn wouldn't work for anyone!) so it must be down to your drivers somewhere along the line.

Optical drives do not like being on RAID controllers. Is yours actually running in RAID mode or is configured as AHCI in the BIOS?

Even something as simple as updating to the latest Intel Matrix drivers could fix this... but really you want the drive off the RAID controller.

As a side note, drives are fine when the ICH9

I agree that the DVD drive should not be connected to one of the 4 sata ports supported by the ICHR9 chip, which is indeed running in RAID mode, not ACHI. This is why I plugged the dvd drive into the 5th available non-raid sata port on my mobo which goes to a Marvell 88SE6111 chip. According to the mobo docs, this is the preferred connection for a DVD drive.

As I stated earlier, the Roxio works in this configuration, I have sucessfully burned 3 discs now, even using this 'cheap' media. I have been using the same cheap media for at least a year now and have burned literally hundreds of discs, with very few failures. Most of what I burn is downloaded junk and not all that important. Anyway, in this config, Imgburn hangs the PC. I agree that Roxio probably does not issue that same command, or it too would hang.

I moved the drive to the 4th sata connector (part of raid set) just to try something, not because it is right. In this config, both Roxio and Imgburn start burning, but both have trouble at almost exactly 2 TB. I think this is not a good config to run, I moved the DVD back to the 5th sata non-raid port.

The drive is an HP OEM from a friend, he took it out of an HP workstation. I am rather sure HP gets their drives from LG. I suppose if you got your hands on a drive exactly like mine, you could resolve the problem rather easily, being such a talented coder.

I don't think it's related to the drive at all.

Drives follow the MMC specs so they *should* all behave in the same way. Yours is new so it definitely shouldn't have any of the problems that I might associate with drives that came out when the MMC specs were still in their infancy.

Can you confirm that when you tried it on the ICH9 controller (whereby it didn't hang but you got a 'No Seek Complete' during the burn - right?), you were indeed running the v8.5.0.1032 Intel Matrix software/driver available from here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

That marvell controller seems to be a pain to find a driver for! MSI don't seem to list any for it on any of their pages... weird!

Could you please get a screenshot of what the controller is displayed as when looking in device manager? It'll either be in the ide/atapi controller branch or the scsi/raid one.

Once you've done that, bring up the properties for it and get a screenshot of the 'Driver' tab. Then I just need one more from the 'Details' tab when 'Device Instance ID' is selected in the drop down box.

That should be 3 screenshots in total. :)

Thank you!

I don't think it's related to the drive at all.

I agree, the drive burns fine with Roxio, must be some incompatibility with my system devices or drivers.

That marvell controller seems to be a pain to find a driver for! MSI don't seem to list any for it on any of their pages... weird!

I listed my driver versions below, it looks like the Marvell emulates a standard dual IDE and uses a Microsoft driver.

Intel Raid Driver version 8.5.0.1032 7/20/2008

There is nothing else under SCSI and RAID controllers

The ATA/ATAPI branch has 3 items -

Primary IDE channel

Secondary IDE channel

Dual Channel PCI IDE controller (I beleive this is the Marvell 88SE611x)

The resource details for the Marvell controller is PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_6121&SUBSYS_612111AB&REV_B1\4&332B0EE8&0&00E4

The driver is Microsoft version 5.1.2600.2180

I provided the screen shots you requested except the device instance id which was too large for the window, so I copied it above.

post-14386-1223437869_thumb.jpg

post-14386-1223437879_thumb.jpg

I hope this information helps you and thanks again! :thumbup:

I also would like to point out as a sanity check that I had been using Imgburn sucessfully and happily for all of 2008 on this exact same system with a NEC 3520 IDE burner that recently failed. I changed nothing but the drive when Imgburn started hanging.

Since then I have updated drivers, BIOS, and tried a bunch of rather stupid things like moving the drive to the sata Raid controller just to see what would happen, which to my surprise completely changed the behavior.

The fact that neither Imgburn nor Roxio will produce a good DVD with the drive hooked to the raid controller, and plain common sense, tells me that this is not how it should be cabled. I reconnected the drive to the non-raid sata port; now at least Roxio works.

As you point out on your pinned posts, many other burning applications like Roxio simply ignore error conditions; I always appreciated the wealth of information from Imgburn. I understand if my case is simply too unique for a solution, I'll just have to deal with it. :/

I found the latest real driver for your Marvell controller.

Going by this bit...

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_6121

...I'd guess that it's actually a 6121 and not a 6111. I'm sure they're very much the same thing though :)

Bring up properties on that 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller', click 'Update Driver...' on the 'Driver' tab and point it at the folder where you've extracted the attached RAR file to. These drivers are WHQL signed btw. :)

Maybe that'll work, maybe it won't. It's got to be worth a shot :)

Then I guess, if all else fails, pick yourself up a Silicon Image 3112 / 3512 / 3114 card (non raid if possible but you can flash to the non raid bios anyway) on ebay for

Marvell.61XX.i386.WHQL.v1.2.0.60.rar

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.