Using ImgBurn to backup data

MortTheJoat

if u use the build mode, it dun need create image in temp before burning process.

Thanks for the prompt response, and I tried that, too. ImgBurn still fails, complaining that there is no room on the target media (a standard, single-layer DVD-R MID: MCC 03RG20).

And then I spent %$(#@& minutes dragging the 1989 files to the queue, again, as described in the Guide to Using The Queue, and it failed again.

While I await word of a correction (to my actions) or fix (to ImgBurn - I guess that would be a 'correction', too?), I am constructing queues limited to fit onto single media -- that is, I am doing it by hand. :unsure:

La'Shonah Tovah - Mort

The easier way is to get the 2 computers networked together (a crossover ethernet cable is enough if they're close to each other) then copy the files/folders over the network (you can use Windows itself to do this).

The harder way (by burning DVDs) would use 7-Zip/WinRAR to create an archive split in 4480 MB chunks (both programs/formats support splitting when creating the archive) then burning each chunk to a DVD disc using the UDF 1.02 filesystem.

I can attest to the crossover cable idea for large amounts of data like Mort's. Costs almost nothing (you can make it yourself actually) and is very fast.

Happy New Year, Mort.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't this be a natural progression for ImgBurn? I have been looking for a program that would allow me to drag a folder of images to it and burn dvd(s), spanning if neccessary, without compression and without some type of proprietary scheme. Just the files, copied to dvd(s), without my having to figure anything out, just changing disks when/if neccessary.

I also know a ton of professional photographers that would kill (read: pay a ton of money for) a program such as this.

Edited by GuidedLight Photo

Isn't that what a full fledged backup program does?

Besides, recordable DVDs aren't that reliable to store files as-is and hope they won't get damaged. Compressing/wrapping the files in a container can take care of that, and even add the ability to rescue files from containers burned to crappy media ;)

If you know in advance that you're going to be backing up to a disc of a fixed size, is it really that hard to just organise your folders that way?

i.e. make a folder called '1', when it gets to 700mb / 4.37gb you move onto folder '2'.

I've been doing that for years and it hasn't killed me yet! *touch wood*

Both bring up good points and I've used both in the past, however, now that our business has grown to the point that it has, I no longer have the luxury of waisting time or chancing the integrity of my files. All of the programs I have used for back-up have used some sort of proprietary system, Acronis is the flavor right now but still does something to the files which may or may not alter them and I just can't take that chance. And I've used the watch the folder grow to 4.2gb and burn, but I'm now dealing with close to 8000 images a weekend and I need a drag and drop solution. As far as DVD vs. hard drive vs. online storage....I'm doing all three because its just safer, run Spinrite on a brand new hd and you'll see why I still use DVD's as well. Unfortunately, the only program I have found that does exactly what I want is a Mac only program and changing my whole workflow right now is not an option.

I just thought, hoped, prayed, did a voodoo dance, that since Imgburn is so close to being THE perfect CD/DVD solution, this might be in the upgrade que.

I've asked on a couple of pro photographer forums, DWF Pro to be specific, and all I get is smugness from all of the Apple people about how they have a solution, a number of solutions, and it just works. I hate Apple (read: really, really, really, jealous)!

Edited by GuidedLight Photo

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.