Burning too fast: Buffer underrun protection

Moby Disk

When I run imgburn on some fast media, the drive's buffer empties faster than the system can re-fill it. So imgburn does this, over and over:

1. Fill buffer

2. Start burn

3. ImgBurn buffer empties

4. Drive buffer empties

5. Burning pauses (underrun protection kicks in?)

6. ImgBurn re-fills buffer

7. Goto Step 2

This seems silly. Would it not be safer and faster if imgburn measured the hard drive speed and slowed-down the burn speed to match? Nero has an option to do a test burn and measure this. I tried the discovery mode, but that seems to be only for measuring the speed of the media, not the overall burn speed. I could manually set my drive to burn at a slower rate, and that would solve the problem, but I figured there would be an automated way that would come-up with the optimal speed.

Or should I just leave it as it is now?

I'm sure you're quite capable of slowing your own burn speed down if you know your system can't cope with 16x burning or whatever.

Obviously it's better to avoid buffer recovery kicking in so either slow the burn speed down or increase the buffer size - assuming it can at some point keep up? If it can't you must be running it on a pretty slow system. 22mb/s is about enough for a 16x burn and a hdd should easily be able to do that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.