sata dvd writer problem

jayofcastleford

open imgburn and make sure the log window is visible (enable it via the 'View' menu if it's not).

Now press F8 to enable I/O debug mode.

Wait a couple of seconds and press F8 again.

Now select all the entries in the log window (CTRL+A) and copy them (CTRL+C). Now paste (CTRL+V) them into a reply here on the forum.

here we go

I 23:34:03 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 23:34:03 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3, v.3311)

I 23:34:03 Total Physical Memory: 2,096,364 KB - Available: 1,454,008 KB

I 23:34:03 Initialising SPTI...

I 23:34:03 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:34:05 Found 1 DVD

Edited by jayofcastleford

Yeah your drivers are messing stuff up.

All of the 'SENSE' stuff is complete rubbish.

Bring up Device Manager, expand the IDE Controller and SCSI / RAID Controller branches and tell me (or show me via a screenshot) exactly what you see.

Device manager can be found by right clicking 'My Computer' -> 'Properties' -> 'Hardware' tab -> 'Device Manager'.

Right so it's definitely NVIDIA then!

Do you happen to know which motherboard you have at all? Or rather, which NVIDIA chipset it uses?

I really can't believe that NVIDIA release drivers that are sooooo bad, they totally screw with the sense data from drives - how do they expect programs to work properly if the info isn't accurate?!

no you need to to uninstall the driver you installed for nforce chipset (not the chipset bit though only the storage driver you need to remove) , you can normally run chipset installation package again and tell it to remove the storage driver.

you should also get rid of VSO patin couffin if after removing nvidia ide/storage driver you still get the same errors.

look in FAQ on here and also google on how to remove nvidia ide drivers

If after clicking remove you do not get some further options like remove the following components then you will need to manually do it.

open device manager , then goto nvidia nforce serial ata and right click on it choose properties then click update driver choose the non auto search and click enable show compatible hardware then choose the ms driver

reboot

Or pay someone to reinstall xp clean and making sure they do not install nfarce drivers or do it yourself and also make sure if you do have to get someone in to install xp that they manage to get your writer to work before paying them.

so i choose the standard dual channel pci ide controller

and btw in the device manager there are 2 serial ata controllerb do i do the same with both?

oh and in the add and remove like you mentioned it only brings up my display drivers and my eithernet drivers

Edited by jayofcastleford

yeah but only as a test if still the same after taking out the patin couffin layer then go into bios and select IDE for SATA or you could now open imgburn and choose patin couffin as the I/O and see if that works for your setup. So try before un installing it.

Then hit everything with a BFH

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have come to this thread after searching the forum.

I think I have the same problem or almost the same: I have installed today a Samsung SH-S203B SATA DVD-writer and ImgBurn says "Device Not Ready" *only* after trying to use it, like burn or erase. Before that it says drive is ready. I have an Asus A8N-E mobo, which has an nVidia nForce chipset (although I can't find its version number). As you can see, I have both nVidia SATA drivers and VSO. But my problem applies to ImgBurn only. I have tried to burn and erase a couple of DVD-R/RW with Nero 8 and it worked. So, do I really need to remove those drivers from my system? Why does Nero work and ImgBurn doesn't?

System.jpg

BEFORE doing any action:

I 00:05:21 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 00:05:21 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)

I 00:05:21 Total Physical Memory: 2.096.624 KB - Available: 1.387.072 KB

W 00:05:21 Drive G:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 00:05:21 Initialising SPTI...

I 00:05:21 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 00:05:23 Found 2 DVD-ROMs, 1 DVD

Edited by WeeZee

Your system is returning total cr** for the sense information.

It's not the drive so it must be the nvidia drivers and I have no idea why they do it, sorry.

Was there actually a disc in the drive when that 2nd log was created? It's one thing to bugger up the sense data but another to report that the I/O command failed when it didn't.

The good news is that I'll be able to install my freshly RMA'd PSU back into my AMD nForce 4 based board tomorrow and see what's up.

That said, if you're saying Nero works as-is, you should be able to just copy the wnaspi32.dll file from the nero program folder into the ImgBurn one and tell ImgBurn to use the ASPI I/O interface.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.