Actual size that dvd-r, or dvd+r disc can hold

dr_ml422

I've been reading the guides for a couple of hours now and tried the search function and for the life of me can't find where I think I saw what a dvd-r, or dvd+r blank actually holds. In the guides section it says that it'll report the whole size for a dvd+r blank in the description window. I've seen else where different sizes for actual output onto a dvd-r or dvd+r blank. What can each actually hold w/out using a transcoder? This would be helpful so I could set a default output size that will reasonably fit onto a dvd-r or dvd+r blank using any other proggie so that when I use ImgBurn in read mode I can create a copy that will fit onto a dvd-r or +r w/out it telling me I need a dual layer disc or that I have insufficient space on the blank. I swear I thought I saw it in the guides here somewhere. Talking about dvd 5 output which says 4.7gb but actually isn't. Thnx.

DVD-R is 4,489MB and DVD+R 4,483MB.

Hi Cynthia. Thnx for coming to the rescue. I knew I saw it some place here. Lot of ground to cover in the guides. What happen to the 4300 n something figure that's posted w/some guides on Shrink, Fab etc...?

New findings?

Some cheap media have a bad habit of being very bad at the end of the disc. Only burning up to something like 4300 reduces the problems for write/playback errors. :)

Thank God for tys and verbs. Started w/them late but won't turn back. Especially the dvd+rs. They definitely burn quicker as some of the other fellas have attested to. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.