Why is disc ejected before burning done?

coody

The burn should have been done, so it seems that the verify stage is not starting. Could it be that the burned disc could not be read by your burner?

Could you post the log from that burn attempt? You'll find it here: Main Menu -> Help -> ImgBurn Logs

:)

I have just tested it with my desktop computer. During the burning, the DVD drive ejected and then automatically closed (I do not know why burn needs this step. It seems unnecessary). After that, the burn continues until the message displayed

I wouldn't say it's unnecessary, as the re-load tests it the burned disc really can be read again by initiating it again. Once had a Pioneer writer that could verify the disc if the tray was not re-loaded, but if it was - it couldn't read it. So it's a good test to know that it can be read.

You can disable this option if you like so in the settings of ImgBurn (the Write tab).

settings04.png

Cycle Tray Before Verify

CD/DVD recorders (and modern CD/DVD-ROM drives) have a chunk of RAM that holds blocks read from the disc. Some drives provide a way to clear this out, some don't.

All drives need to have their block cache cleared out after writing completes and before disc verification begins. If this weren't done, the files being verified could be read out of the block cache instead of from the disc itself, defeating the purpose of the verification pass. Also, some CD/DVD recorders need to have their recording buffers explicitly cleared between the "test" and "write" passes.

The most reliable, 100%-guaranteed-to-work approach is to eject the disc and re-insert it. Watching your CD/DVD tray open and close can be startling at first, but in general it's harmless.

:)

Coody,

The problem you're having is the very reason I make ImgBurn eject the disc before it verifies.

It's to catch problems where the drive cannot re-initialise the disc.

You wouldn't have known that the drive couldn't read the disc if ImgBurn didn't eject it in the first place. Surely you must agree it's better to know about that kind of issue at the time of burning rather than when you've potentially deleted the files you backed up on the 'unreadable' disc?!

As for erasing / formatting before burning... well ImgBurn does that already.

Coody,

The problem you're having is the very reason I make ImgBurn eject the disc before it verifies.

It's to catch problems where the drive cannot re-initialise the disc.

You wouldn't have known that the drive couldn't read the disc if ImgBurn didn't eject it in the first place. Surely you must agree it's better to know about that kind of issue at the time of burning rather than when you've potentially deleted the files you backed up on the 'unreadable' disc?!

As for erasing / formatting before burning... well ImgBurn does that already.

Ok, I never known there is an option to disable it. I think it is necessary to disable it if I burn the disc with a laptop because the laptop is usually unable to automatically close the drive after the disc has been ejected. As a result, the burn is interrupted unless the user can push the drive in as quickly as possible. If the ejection is for the drive checking the disc readable, why can't the ImgBurn just display an error message such as

Edited by coody

Tools -> Settings -> Write -> Cycle tray before verify

I just hope you understand that turning this option off isn't going to solve anything if your drive is constantly burning discs that it can't read back once they've been ejected.

Thanks for the instructions. I understand what you said. But, I just do not understand why the disc should be ejected one time before operation completed. Can't the ImgBurn check or read the disc without ejection before the end of the operation or it will affect the burn quality? What is the difference in checking the disc between the disc ejection and without disc ejection? What burning effect will be on such a difference? Can you explain it?

Tools -> Settings -> Write -> Cycle tray before verify

I just hope you understand that turning this option off isn't going to solve anything if your drive is constantly burning discs that it can't read back once they've been ejected.

Thanks for the instructions. I understand what you said. But, I just do not understand why the disc should be ejected one time before operation completed. Can't the ImgBurn check or read the disc without ejection before the end of the operation or it will affect the burn quality? What is the difference in checking the disc between the disc ejection and without disc ejection? What burning effect will be on such a difference? Can you explain it?

lol

It has been explained and you where given a link to read about this option.

No laptop drive can insert disc again after eject it has to be your finger to close tray

This is how it works in desktop PC , you put blank in you write to it when it has finished writing the tray opens and then automatically closes again to start the next STAGE the VERIFY stage.

Once finished verifying the disc is ready to be put in a case or plastic sleeve box etc. (as a successful burn*)

OK back to the point where it ejects the disc after finishing WRITING to it, ImgBurn ejects the disc as part of the whole process so that you know when disc spins and is recognised by writer and verifies that the disc was a complete success.

On a laptop however it never closes the tray after cycle Co's thats what laptop drives do, they wait for user to close tray again manually.

Look at it this way, find a disc you know your drive cannot initialise pop it in and close tray it does not initialise right, sometimes when you burn a disc and the tray is not cycled the disc in tray appears to have written successfully but it has not and cycling the tray would catch that problem and show your disc to be a failure at that point. Not cycling the tray at that point would lead you to believe your data wrote and is capable of being read back by the drive or any other drive when that is not TRUE, you have a failed burn.

Not being funny but are you trying to windup people, congratulations you have fmo. :P

Do you mean the burn has been completed and the disc is playable once the disc is first time ejected

Maybe. How do I know or more importantly how will you know if the disc is worth keeping as you have not verified it.

Your comments are not necessarry about no need to eject. It's there live with it. You have been told how to stop it now lets move on.

Burn disc + verify = play [100%]

Burn disc - verify = ?????????

lol there's obviously a language gap here so don't be too mean :P

Currently, your ImgBurn is set to Burn the disc and then Verify it.

i.e. it has a Write process followed by a Read process.

Obviously the 'Write' process is the only one that's strictly needed for the disc to be playable, the 'Read' (Verify) process is just there to check the drive did a good job at burning the media you're using and that the disc is 100% readable (in that drive at least).

Before ImgBurn starts the 'Read' (Verify) phase it ejects the disc so the drives ability to reinitialise it is put to the test... this is where your drive is failing. Once the drive has ejected the disc, it simply won't read it again - this is NOT normal!

The exact same thing would happen if you disabled the Verify phase (whereby ImgBurn wouldn't cycle the tray and the Read (verify) phase would never take place), ejected the disc yourself and then tried to read it back a day later. (* unless the failure to reinitialise the disc is cause by the heat produced during burning).

What you have to understand is that there's a whole verification type check missed out (can the drive reinitialise the disc?) when you just do...

Write -> Verify.

compared to...

Write -> Cycle Tray -> Verify.

If 'Cycle Tray' is missed out then the drive already knows all the info about the disc from its initial discovery (when it was blank) combined with what's been updated as a result of burning the disc.

It's finding all that info out in one go (i.e. from scratch, on the burnt discs) that your drive has a problem with.

I don't know how else to explain / dumb this down, sorry.

Not being funny but are you trying to windup people, congratulations you have fmo. :P

Do you mean the burn has been completed and the disc is playable once the disc is first time ejected

Maybe. How do I know or more importantly how will you know if the disc is worth keeping as you have not verified it.

Your comments are not necessarry about no need to eject. It's there live with it. You have been told how to stop it now lets move on.

Maybe what? You have not known what is good at all.

Maybe what? You have not known what is good at all.

sorry I cannot understand a word you say and you do not listen so please no more :frustrated:

Oh for the love of God!!!!

Look, ImgBurn CAN just write and verify without ejecting the disc in-between but it's better if it does eject it.

Seriously, what do you not understand about that?

Just because other software doesn't eject it in-between doesn't mean ImgBurn is wrong, I've just made it more thorough.

burn = good disc............maybe

burn + verify = good disc ...............YES

if drive opens AND closes after burn , verify will tell you if disc = good or bad .

if drive no open after burn, then Verify will tell you disc is good anyway, but not tell proper truth :thumbup:

Nero just tell you it a good burn anyway without checking = waste of time, no good

Big boss man win me with typing faster :whistling:

burn = good disc............maybe

burn + verify = good disc ...............YES

if drive opens AND closes after burn , verify will tell you if disc = good or bad .

if drive no open after burn, then Verify will tell you disc is good anyway, but not tell proper truth :thumbup:

Nero just tell you it a good burn anyway without checking = waste of time, no good

Big boss man win me with typing faster :whistling:

"if drive no open after burn, then Verify will tell you disc is good anyway, but not tell proper truth"

Why can't displaying an error message instead of disc ejection if the ImgBurn tries to tell the proper truth?

There is no way of knowing if the burned disc can be read/loaded if the burners cache is not cleared out and that happens only when the disc is being reloaded.

"Nero just tell you it a good burn anyway without checking = waste of time, no good"

I do not agree. The Nero (and other burn software) still displays the error message if something is wrong. That's good because you do not have to wait for the disc ejected and then push it in. When you see the disc ejected without error message, it means burn successful. I try to tell the author what is the user's preference. But, it is your choice to take or not. Again, it is not good that the disc needs to be ejected before the operation is completed.

Again, read the previously read text...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.