SPTI vs VSO vs others

mhakman

When I burn a DVD using SPTI the result is jumpy, freezing, and disturbed video, especially on old standalone DVD player. When I try to verify recording I get I/O error during verify. When I change to VSO interface then everything works ok. How come?

BTW, what are the differences between various I/O interfaces as seen by the user? Is any interface preferred in terms of speed, robustness, compatibility etc.?

Thanks/Mikael

There should be no real difference between any of them.

Well, certainly not to the point where one is making bad discs 100 times out of a 100, and another is making good discs 100 times out of 100!

When using SPTI, do you notice any differences during the actual burn? i.e. the buffer going mad, only burning slowly etc?

what is the media I.D. of the discs you are using?

Here is copy of ImgBurn info

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4080N 0X21 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+RW

Disc Information:

Erasable: Yes

Formatted: No (Started)

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 2 295 104

Size: 4 700 372 992 bytes

Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2,4x; 4x

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Disc ID: INFODISC-A10-01

Book Type: DVD+RW

Part Version: 2

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Number of Layers: 1

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196 608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2 491 711

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Current Format Capacity:

Maximum Format Capacity:

Thanks/Mikael

When using SPTI, do you notice any differences during the actual burn? i.e. the buffer going mad, only burning slowly etc?

I didn't look all the time at status display but when I looked I didn't see any strange things. Buffer is high, almost full all the time for both. Burning time and speeds are about the same, no errors in log during burn.

When verifying using SPTI, read speed goes up at first, it works for a while, then at quite high sector numbers the speed is going down to 0.1 or 0.0 and then I get I/O error. If I choose to continue, it works again for a while, the speed goes up then down again, then I/O error at higher sector number. It continues like this until it comes to a sector which it cannot pass - I get I/O error at this sector no matter how many times I choose to continue.

The image file to burn is on a network drive (100 Mbps Ethernet) but maybe this is irrelevant.

Thanks/Mikael

Are you ONLY using DVD+RW?

They never work as well as normal recordable (WORM) media.

You might want to see if IBM has an updated firmware for the drive too - assuming that is indeed an IBM model LG drive (I think it is).

I'm using DVD+RW because I experiment and try to find a way to store DVB-T recordings outside my DVB-T PVR which disk will become full sooner or later. I'm simply trying to do the same thing as I did using VCR and analog technology but now using digital technology and perhaps a little better. It's perfectly legal in my country.

Are +RW disks more difficult to write to than +R? I selected +RW because I read that the + is more compatible than - with old plain DVD players. When I workout the whole procedure (DVB-T -> DVD) then I will use +R and perhaps in the long range DivX for recordings that I know I will keep forever.

I'll check with IBM or rather Lenovo for new firmware. I?m impressed that you could deduce IBM from drive type/number. Yes, I think it?s LG originally.

Thanks/Mikael

When verifying using SPTI, read speed goes up at first, it works for a while, then at quite high sector numbers the speed is going down to 0.1 or 0.0 and then I get I/O error. If I choose to continue, it works again for a while, the speed goes up then down again, then I/O error at higher sector number.

<curiosity mode on>

Are you doing a full format with your RW media before burning or a quick format?

<curiosity mode off>

The image file to burn is on a network drive (100 Mbps Ethernet) but maybe this is irrelevant.

Can?t see it making much difference if burnproof is enabled (which it is by default). If your drive is starved of data because of a network bottleneck, it *should* sit quietly and not do anything until it has something to burn. Happens to me all the time without any problems.

You might want to see if IBM has an updated firmware for the drive too - assuming that is indeed an IBM model LG drive (I think it is).

I checked with IBM/Lenovo - no new firmware update is available. DSO method is working ok so I can do without SPTI.

You should take a look at what upper/lower filters are installed.

You can get a util to do that from this website:

http://www.bustrace.com/downloads/free_utilities.htm

(It's called 'Filter Driver Load Order v1.0.005')

The upper/lower filters are drivers that all I/O passes through in order to actually reach your DVD drive. As such, I guess something between SPTI and DVD Drive is messing things up and VSO doesn't pass through it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.