Can't install to C:\Program Files

aajr

I have been unable repeatedly to install ImgBurn 2.4.2.0 from a variety of sources including the official site.

All goes well until I select C:\Program Files\Img Burn as the Destination Folder and hit the Install box after which I receive the following error message:

""Error opening file for writing: C:\Program Files\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe"

Except for this exe file the remaining six files install without difficulty to the ImgBurn Program Folder.

I obtained same results in Safe Mode,with all AV programs and firewalls disabled, and in normal operating mode.

Inexplicably, when I change the Destination Folder from C:\Program Files\ImgBurn to DESKTOP the ImgBurn program installs without any problems and works well.

Windows XP Professional, SP3

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

aajr

are you the admin on that machine ?, or a user account ?, you need to be the admin if your not already

Thanks for above responses.

Yes I am the administrator and No the problem did not go away after uninstalling and deleting and then re-installing.

aajr

So even when the file doesn't already exist on your hdd, you still can't create a new one?

Something you've got running is blocking it and only you can track that down I'm afraid.

Thanks I tend to agree.

I do not understand why 6 out of 7 files (readme, uninstall,etc.) install in Program Files Destination Folder but the .exe file does not or why I have had no problems subsequently installing other programs.

aajr

So do you have any malware, antivirus, spyware programs running while you do install? Also may need to use them to find malware that maybe causing the problem.

Problem occurs with all AV, anti-spyware, and anti-malware programs disabled. It also occurs in Safe Mode. Yet it installs and works without problem when I change destination folder to Desktop.

I note that I uninstalled this same version (2.4.2.0) of imgburn program within the last two weeks after its desktop icon "disappeared" which happened after I installed the eight critical "patches" released by Microsoft. Perhaps that is related to my problem. I note also that my panda 1.0.8 anti-rootkit desktop icon also disappeared at the same time and I have been unable to re-install that program.

On the other hand I have installed several other new (never installed on my computer) programs since then with no problem.

aajr

Sometimes disabling these programs isn't enough, you have to actually uninstall them before they'll stop doing what you've told them not to.

In my opinion you should probably uninstall them anyway if you've no idea which one is doing it and none of them are giving you any indication that they're blocking something.

You don't sound like a computer nOOb so why have all that rubbish installed anyway? Do you often open up files (viruses) from people you don't know in emails etc? These things get into your system by something you do, so if you don't 'do' anything in the first place, they don't get on there!

Sometimes disabling these programs isn't enough, you have to actually uninstall them before they'll stop doing what you've told them not to.

In my opinion you should probably uninstall them anyway if you've no idea which one is doing it and none of them are giving you any indication that they're blocking something.

You don't sound like a computer nOOb so why have all that rubbish installed anyway? Do you often open up files (viruses) from people you don't know in emails etc? These things get into your system by something you do, so if you don't 'do' anything in the first place, they don't get on there!

Thanks. I only have Spysweeper w/ Antivirus and Comodo firewall running and did not have any problem the first time I installed Image Burn.

It has only been since I installed the eight patches released recently by Microsoft that I have been unable to re-install Image Burn to the Program Files destination folder.

I do not think it prudent to operate w/o an AV program and software firewall. I thought that when I operated in Safe Mode Spysweeper w/ Antivirus was totally inoperative.

<br />If you install to the desktop/wherever can you copy the file to program files?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

That was the first thing I tried after installing ImgBurn to my Desktop but it was unsuccessful.

The error message read as follows: "Cannot copy ImgBurn: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I confirmed that none of these conditions were present.

aajr

<br />try unlocker at least you be able to see why its locked or it might let you move file<br /><br /><a href="http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/" target="_blank">http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks for unlocker program.

It did not find any locking handles.

It did however allow me to move exe file to Image Burn folder in Program Files but when I did Image Burn did not work. Once I moved it back to Desktop it worked fine.

something is probably messed up in your registry setting for imgburn. Uninstall imgburn then goto these 2 keys in your registery and delete them and do a reboot. Then try a fresh install

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ImgBurn

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ImgBurn

Define 'did not work'....

received error message ; "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Techman: Thanks but uninstalling/ deleting two registry keys/ rebooting/ reinstalling did not work. The results were identical to those reported initially.

Thats a strange problem you could try to uninstall from the account you using now. Then use the built in administrator account to see if it will install properly. As long as you do the install for all users you should be able to run program from any account if it works.

Edited by techman

The unlocker thing might have fudged something so you were able to put the file in place, but now that it's there, the same program that stopped you from copying it there originally is now stopping you from running it.

Clean all the suspect programs off your machine until it works and then put them back on one at a time until it doesn't... then you'll know which one to avoid in the future.

<br />The unlocker thing might have fudged something so you were able to put the file in place, but now that it's there, the same program that stopped you from copying it there originally is now stopping you from running it.<br /><br />Clean all the suspect programs off your machine until it works and then put them back on one at a time until it doesn't... then you'll know which one to avoid in the future.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Techman: Thanks but I am not sure what you are suggesting. I am the Computer Administrator and have no guest users.

Lightning UK: I only have two non-microsoft programs that start when the computer boots and run in the background - - McAfee's SiteAdvisor and Webroot's Spysweeper and AntiVirus.

I uninstalled both and experienced same problem. I went to my external backup drive and first copy of ImgBurn was in the Program Files and operated as expected. As noted previously, this copy no longer worked after I downloaded the eight security updates Microsoft released on a Tuesday several weeks ago and caused me to uninstall it and try to re-install a fresh copy which I have been unable to do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.