Some iso's partially empty

Jaydear

I make plenty of successful DVD iso's using imgburn.

Occasionally I get one that has the expected size, but from a random sector to the end of the file it is just full of zeroes. This can happen anywhere, it's seemingly random.

I used the sector viewer in IsoBuster to reveal the problem.

I usually check iso's directly in VLC, but just check a few random spots. I guess I should just check the end of the iso to see if there is still data there... live and learn <sigh>.

I've also checked the source files of failed iso's and they are completely fine afaict... they play OK in VLC if that is any indication. Re-building failed iso's from the same source files usually gives a good iso first time!

I'm using v2.4.2.0 on a 2.8GHz PC with 1Gig RAM, XP Pro SP2 and write iso's directly to a LaCie external drive formatted NTFS with heaps of space. Builds usually take about 2':30" or so at around 18x.

Has anyone else had this happen?

I make plenty of successful DVD iso's using imgburn.

Occasionally I get one that has the expected size, but from a random sector to the end of the file it is just full of zeroes. This can happen anywhere, it's seemingly random.

I used the sector viewer in IsoBuster to reveal the problem.

I usually check iso's directly in VLC, but just check a few random spots. I guess I should just check the end of the iso to see if there is still data there... live and learn <sigh>.

I've also checked the source files of failed iso's and they are completely fine afaict... they play OK in VLC if that is any indication. Re-building failed iso's from the same source files usually gives a good iso first time!

I'm using v2.4.2.0 on a 2.8GHz PC with 1Gig RAM, XP Pro SP2 and write iso's directly to a LaCie external drive formatted NTFS with heaps of space. Builds usually take about 2':30" or so at around 18x.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Turn compression off on the drive and scan the drive for file system errors and check smart then check drive again with scandisk but for surface errors this time. Lacie drives can be very dodgy and fail more often than Maxtor.

Nope never and I've never heard of anyone else saying such a thing.

Find me a log of one that didn't work and maybe there will be a clue in it.

This is the log of the most recent failed build...

; //****************************************\\

; ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 - Log

; Wednesday, 05 November 2008, 17:03:08

; \\****************************************//

;

;

I 16:55:26 ImgBurn Version 2.4.2.0 started!

I 16:55:26 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 16:55:27 Total Physical Memory: 1,048,044 KB - Available: 793,316 KB

W 16:55:27 Drive G:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB in size.

I 16:55:27 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:55:27 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:55:27 Found 1 DVD

If anything is going wrong I'd say that K: is.

ImgBurn allocates the full size of the file before it starts writing to it - and explorer will show that in the file properties.

So if your drive suddenly stops writing to the file (but doesn't report an error), everything after that last successful write would just be zeroes.

If anything is going wrong I'd say that K: is.

ImgBurn allocates the full size of the file before it starts writing to it - and explorer will show that in the file properties.

So if your drive suddenly stops writing to the file (but doesn't report an error), everything after that last successful write would just be zeroes.

Fair enough, I can understand that. My 'problem' is that I need to build my iso's direct to an external drive to save time and drive space.

I bought a LaCie because over the years I have had several no-name external (yes, OK, el-cheapo) enclosures that have all had serious USB issues and/or firewire issues no matter what PC I use. Apart from the current problem, the LaCie (which came fitted with a 2.5" WD 160GB HDD) has been brilliant and has never mangled any normal file transfers.

I'll get a Seagate 2.5" or other HDD manufacturer's brand and see if it will do better. If not, perhaps the problem might be down to an issue with the USB interface in the external drive not allowing the HDD to report an error to ImgBurn.

Thanks for your help. Love your work.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.