How to set Book Type DVD ROM

WilliamKF

Hello,

I have a drive recognized as: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4082N by imgBurn.

I need to turn on book type of DVD-ROM in order to burn a backup of my Toyota navigation DVD.

Looking at other posts, the menu item they refer to is not present in v2.4.2.0.

Under Tools menu there is no Device menu from which to set the book type.

In the Tools -> Settings I see a tab for Device, but do not see any book type option there.

BTW, is 'Perform OPC before write' suggested enabled for burning a navigation DVD, it is not on by default?

Thanks.

-William

Edited by WilliamKF

Hi and welcome to the forum, WilliamKF! :)

Switch to 'Write' mode and you'll see the Device menu.

Normally ImgBurn should apply the book type automatic for LGs - if you have the 'Auto Change Book Type' option enabled in the Write tab in the settings.

Some older writers have problems if the 'Perform OPC...' is enabled - that's why it got disabled by default in the later versions. I have it enabled.

Hi Cynthia,

I do have 'Auto Change Book Type' option enabled in the Write tab in the settings.

I switched to 'Write' mode, and now I see the Tools -> Drive -> Change Book Type... menu (perhaps only after media was inserted). Invoking that it asks for the REAL drive type. Your post suggests that might be LG, however, this is an HP branded laptop. I went ahead and selected LG and for popup Change For I selected "Drive (for DVD+R DL media)" but then it says under current setting "Unknown (FAILED!)" and "Reason: Invalid Command Operation Code". Do I need to do "Advanced" settings?

I do notice that after inserting Memorex +R DL media that "Book Type: DVD ROM" appears on the right hand side which is fully quoted at the bottom of this post.

I thought maybe a firmware update might help and ran menu item Tools -> Drive -> Check For Firmware Updates... but it states current firmware rev is HQ04 and on OK goes to an empty web page: http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&...isces=GMA-4082N

How do I determine whether I have an older writer that has problems with OPC? The write I originally did worked fine for the verify, it just fails when inserted into the car's navigation DVD player.

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4082N HQ04 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 4,173,824

Free Space: 8,547,991,552 bytes

Free Time: 927:32:74 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x

DVD
Edited by WilliamKF

How do I determine whether I have an older writer that has problems with OPC?

You get an error in the log file (if the option is enabled during the write) if it has problems with OPC.

It looks as you get the book type right. Perhaps the DVD reader in your car is very picky about the media. Verbatim (2.4x rated made in Singapore) could perhaps work better as media brand.

:)

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4082N HQ04 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 4,173,824

Free Space: 8,547,991,552 bytes

Free Time: 927:32:74 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x

DVD

Was this information shown when you've inserted the burned disc? Because here it says the disc is empty. Also strange is the lack of 'Physical Information (ATIP)' field. From what I could find by searching that burner doesn't support writing DVD+R DL discs.

No, this was what was displayed upon inserting a blank disk. According to the marketing info on this PC it supports double layer DVDs, although it doesn't call out +Rs explicitly. But the info on the drive from imgBurn says it does support +Rs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.